Season 2 Episode 1: Working Life201 - Jan 11, 2019
This episode features Koa and Duffy who have a rapidly growing construction company leaving them with precious little time for their kids and each other. They also volunteer and have just embarked on a home renovation. They have a good working relationship but is it at the expense of their romantic one and time with their children?
We meet Paul and Cory who work full time but keep their weekends free. Free time is sacred, particularly in the summer when they want to spend as much time as possible at their cottage. For the last 12 years they have managed on one salary, but they have four kids who all play sports at a high level. The rising cost of fees and equipment proved too much for one salary so after a 12-year absence, Cory went back to work as a teacher. Money stress is reduced, but they are still trying to find the perfect work-life balance.
And finally we meet Jodi, a woman in her late 30s who dreams of making a success of her line of women’s work wear. In order to do that she has to juggle several jobs in the gig economy to support her dream — it is an uncertain existence and she is barely making ends meet. Can she make a go of it?
FAST STATS ABOUT CANADIAN WORKING LIFE
- 47% of Canadian professionals are unhappy in their current job.
- The gig economy (contract, freelance and on-demand jobs) officially makes up only 6% of the workforce, but experts predict it will jump to 45% by 2020.
- 46% of Canadian employees would leave their current job for more flexible work arrangements.
- Small businesses employ 71% of the total private labour force in Canada.
- Business survival rates for entrepreneurs with mentors are 88% higher than those without.