Serve this delicious, wholesome cake from Chef Joshna with a dollop of cinnamon whipped cream.
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
3 cups spelt flour, plus more for pan
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
3 large eggs
3-4 Bartlett pears, washed, unpeeled, cored and cut into ½-inch pieces (3 cups)
1 cup chopped assorted nuts, such as pecans and walnuts
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray and dust lightly with flour; set aside.
2. Working over a large sheet of parchment paper, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; gather sifted ingredients into center of sheet; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine vegetable oil, brown sugar, and eggs; mix on high speed until a dull lemon yellow.
4. Fold reserved parchment in half lengthwise; with mixer on medium speed, gradually shake in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
5. Add pears and, if desired, nuts, to batter; mix to combine. Add vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 75 to 90 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.