Using calorie- and sugar-saving ingredients like Greek yogurt and applesauce, Chef Jo's Dish Do-Over Double Chocolate Cake is a must try! The nutritional results, after all her careful tweaking: 10.3 grams of fat, down from 32, and 339 calories, down from 600.
Icing1 1/2 cups non-fat plain Greek yogurt, at room temperature
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 oz 70% dark chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
1/2 cup organic icing sugar
Cake2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup organic sugar
1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups egg whites
- Using a hand mixer beat together yogurt, cocoa powder, melted chocolate and icing sugar until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a food processor, pulse applesauce, yogurt, honey, sugar, butter and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, until combined.
- In a separate dry bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, and fold into batter. (Batter will be lumpy; do not over mix.)
- Pour into two prepared 9-inch cake pans and bake for 20–25 minutes. Let cool before icing.
- Remove icing from freezer and spread a generous dollop between layers of cake.
- Spread a thin "crumb coat" of icing over cake and chill until icing is set.
- Using remaining icing, finish final coating. Serve at room temperature and store in fridge.