These healthy little bundles look great and taste even better. Opa!
By Voula Halliday
Serves 6 as a main or 12 as an appetizer
12 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
3 cups (750 mL) cooked tangy braised beef short ribs, bones removed
3/4 cup (175 mL) crumbled feta cheese or ricotta
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1/2 cup (125 mL) tzatziki
1 cup (250 mL) cucumber, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
1/2 cup (125 mL) red onion, finely chopped (optional)
12 kalamata olives, pits removed (optional)
1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Press one slice of bread into each section of muffin tin, using your fingers to gently squish bread into an even, round cup shape.
- Bake in preheated oven until edges turn toasty brown, about 8 minutes. (Note: You can prepare toast cups 1 day in advance and store in a sealed container until ready to use or freeze for up to 3 weeks.)
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, shred beef using two forks: Pull meat with tines of forks to break apart until just coarsely shredded.
- After toast cups are baked, gently press 1/4 cup (50 mL) of shredded beef into bottom of each cup, then top each with 1 tbsp (15 mL) crumbled feta cheese and chopped tomato.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until cheese has softened.
- To serve, top each cup with chopped cucumber, onion and dollop of tzatziki. Garnish with an olive and finely chopped cilantro.
- Multi-grain bread adds a lovely crunch to every bite and a healthy boost as well.
- Make 'em Mexican! Top beef and cheese with salsa before baking. Finish with a dollop each of sour cream, guacamole and sliced jalapeno peppers plus a sprinkle of cilantro.