Simple to make, these tasty little treats come out of the oven looking spectacular.
By Voula Halliday
Makes 36 bites
2 tbsp (30 mL) flour
1/2 package puff pastry, thawed
1 tbsp (15 mL) tandoori paste
2 tbsp (30 mL) tzatziki or plain yogourt
1 cup (250 mL) cooked chicken, chopped or finely shredded
1/2 cup (125 mL) baby spinach
2 green onions
12 baby tomatoes
1 cup (250 mL) mascarpone cheese or 1/2 cup (125 mL) each whipped cream cheese and sour cream, combined
1/4 cup (125 mL) fresh coriander or basil, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 450 F (230 C). Lightly dust counter with flour. Roll out pastry dough into a thin square, about 12 by 12 in. (30 x 30 cm). Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut pastry into strips, 2 in. (5 cm) wide, then cut crosswise into 2-in. (5-cm) squares. Divide squares evenly on a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine tandoori paste with tzatziki or yogourt. Add chopped chicken and stir until evenly coated; set aside. Finely chop spinach. Thinly slice green onions. Slice each tomato into 3 rounds.
- Dollop 1 tsp (5 mL) mascarpone onto centre of each pastry square. Top with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of chicken mixture. Sprinkle with spinach and onions. Dot each square with a slice of tomato.
- Bake until pastry is golden, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with coriander or basil and serve hot or at room temperature on a large platter.
- Instead of one-bite apps, cut puff pastry into two individual pizzas or make one large pie.
- This topping combination also works well on pizza dough or nan.
- Substitute finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes for fresh.
- Finely chopped red onion is a fine substitute for green onion.
- Finely diced tofu works well, if you prefer a vegetarian version.