Tennis

Djokovic accuses critics of 'witch-hunt', undecided on U.S. Open

Novak Djokovic has accused critics of subjecting him to a "witch-hunt" after his regional Adria Tour tennis event ended in a novel coronavirus fiasco and said he was still uncertain whether he would play at the Aug. 31-Sept 13 U.S. Open.
In this Friday, June 12, 2020 photo, Serbia's Novak Djokovic reacts during a tennis doubles match with Jelena Jankovic against Serbia's Nenad Zimonjic and Olga Danilovic at charity tournament Adria Tour, in Belgrade, Serbia. Djokovic says he's undecided about playing in this year's U.S. Open. (The Associated Press)

Novak Djokovic has accused critics of subjecting him to a "witch-hunt" after his regional Adria Tour tennis event ended in a novel coronavirus fiasco and said he was still uncertain whether he would play at the Aug. 31-Sept 13 U.S. Open.

Images and videos of the players hugging at the net, playing basketball together and partying at the tournament were posted on social media.

World number one Djokovic, fellow Serb Viktor Troicki, Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov and Croatian Borna Coric all tested positive for the virus and the event had to be called off.

Djokovic, who tested positive for COVID-19 after the Adria Tour's second leg in Croatia, pulled no punches in slamming his peers and pundits who said he was irresponsible to stage the event amid the pandemic.

WATCH | Djokovic and other Adria Tour players test positive:

Novak Djokovic has tested positive for COVID-19 following an exhibition event he organized in Croatia. The men's world No. 1 tennis player was one of four participants of the controversial Adria Tour exhibition tournament to be infected, providing a cautionary tale in a sport trying to responsibly re-launch. 2:15

"I can only see criticism lately and much of it is malicious," Djokovic told Wednesday's issue of Serbia's daily Sportski Zurnal.

"It's obviously more than just criticism, it's like an agenda and a witch-hunt are on. Someone has to take the fall, a big name.

"I still haven't decided whether I will play in the U.S. Open, the upsurge in registered COVID-19 cases in the United Staes and New York in particular are not playing into the event's hands," added Djokovic who was back in training on Tuesday with Troicki.

Djokovic tested negative after the second test he took last week and, having conceded after the failed tournament that it came to soon, he reiterated that he had acted in good faith.

"My intention was pure, I was whole-heartedly committed to organizing a humanitarian event to help players and tennis federations in the [Balkan] region," he said.

"We complied with all the laws and regulations. But we've learned our lessons and some things could have probably been done in a different way."

The first leg in Belgrade held on June 13 and 14 with no social distancing rules in place drew a sell-out 4,000 crowd and as many fans turned up in Zadar's Visnjik tennis complex with a capacity of 9,000 a week later.

Fans in Zadar were ordered by the Croatian government to stay two meters apart but the final, due to feature Djokovic and Russian Andrey Rublev, was called off after Dimitrov tested positive for the virus.

The remaining two legs in Montenegro and Bosnia were scrapped.

Add some “good” to your morning and evening.

A variety of newsletters you'll love, delivered straight to you.

Sign up now

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

now