Eugenie Bouchard quits match at Wimbledon tuneup
Canadian tennis star's struggles continue
Eugenie Bouchard's disappointing year continued Wednesday as she retired from her third-round match at the grass-court AEGON International in Eastbourne, England.
The native of Westmount, Que., was down 3-0 in the second set to Belinda Bencic of Switzerland when she pulled out. Bencic won the first set 6-4.
Bouchard said she suffered an abdominal injury, but that it won't keep her out of Wimbledon, which begins in less than a week.
"I'm going to play no matter what, even if I'm on one leg," said Bouchard, who was a finalist at the All England Club last year but is seeded only 12th for this year's tournament.
The 21-year-old said she started feeling the abdominal muscle injury during the first set against Bencic.
"I kept trying and trying," the Canadian said. "I mean, at the end it was hard for me to put a serve in, just because I felt that pain a little bit.
"It just wasn't smart for me to take a risk, and potentially be out for a long time. It's something I want to kind of take care of right away."
Bouchard has struggled all season, and her ranking dropped out of the top 10 this month. Since reaching the quarter-finals at Indian Wells, she has won only two of 12 matches. That includes a victory in her opening (second-round) match at Eastbourne on Tuesday.
With files from CBCSports.ca