Victor Montagliani of Canada 1 of 2 left in running for CONCACAF presidency
Previous 3 presidents removed amid scandals
Canadian Soccer Association president Victor Montagliani is one of only two remaining candidates in the running to take over as the next president of CONCACAF, soccer's regional governing body for North and Central America and the Caribbean.
FIFA says Gordon Derrick, the general secretary of the Antigua and Barbuda Football Association, has failed an integrity check and won't be allowed to run for the position.
Domenico Scala, chairman of FIFA's audit and compliance committee, said in a statement Tuesday that Derrick had been disqualified but added that "for privacy reasons, we are not in a position to go into further details."
CONCACAF's president is automatically a FIFA vice-president and member of FIFA's ruling executive committee, which is being renamed the FIFA council.
The decision left Montagliani and Bermuda Football Association president Larry Mussenden as the only candidates.
CSA president announced candidacy in February
Montagliani announced he was running for president in early February, hoping to clean up the organization which, along with FIFA, has been shaken by scandals in the past year.
"Like anything there's a lot of really good people in the game," Montagliani told the Canadian Press at the time. "But I think it's time for maybe the silent majority to not be silent any more and I consider myself part of that. And to take the challenge to bring the game back what we all as fans love it for. I think the fans deserve that."
Montagliani served three terms as CSA vice-president before being elected as president in 2012. He has been a member of the executive committee since 2005.
Recent presidents plagued by scandal
Jack Warner of Trinidad and Tobago, CONCACAF's president from 1983-2011, was indicated by a U.S. grand jury in New York City last May on charges of racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy, wire fraud, money laundering conspiracy and money laundering. He is fighting extradition.
He was succeeded by Jeffrey Webb, who headed CONCACAF from 2012 until he was indicted last May. He pleaded guilty on Nov. 23 to racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy and money laundering conspiracy, and agreed to forfeit more than $6.7 million US.
Alfredo Hawit of Honduras replaced Webb and was indicted in November. He pleaded guilty Monday to two counts of wire fraud conspiracy and one count each of racketeering conspiracy and conspiracy to obstruct justice.
CONCACAF said Luis Hernandez of Cuba and John Krishnadath were running for FIFA council member from the Caribbean, and Pedro Chaluja of Panama was running unopposed for council member for the Caribbean.
Sonia Bien-Aime of Turks and Caicos, elected as the Caribbean's member of the FIFA executive committee last July, is running for CONCACAF's female member of the new council against Joanne Salazar of Trinidad and Tobago.
With files from CBC Sports