Soccer

Ronaldo confident of Portugal avoiding World Cup qualifying loss to North Macedonia

Portugal faces a winner-take-all game Tuesday against North Macedonia, the team that shocked Italy last week to keep the four-time champions out of the World Cup for the second straight time. "I don't think they will surprise us ...," Cristiano Ronaldo says.

Star player says teammates 'well prepared' for Tuesday winner-take-all match

At a Monday news conference, forward Cristiano Ronaldo vowed Portugal would advance to the World Cup following Tuesday's winner-take-all match against North Macedonia. (Miguel Riopa/AFP via Getty Images)

With a spot on the line for what could be his fifth and final World Cup, Cristiano Ronaldo needs to avoid an upset like the one that ended Italy's hopes of making it to the tournament in Qatar.

Portugal faces a winner-take-all game on Tuesday against North Macedonia, the team that shocked Italy last week to keep the four-time champions out of the World Cup for the second straight time.

"We were surprised," Ronaldo told SportTV on Monday. "North Macedonia has surprised in many matches. But I don't think they will surprise us tomorrow. Portugal will play better and we will make it to the World Cup."

Portugal is trying to reach its sixth straight World Cup, and Ronaldo is hoping to play in his 10th consecutive major tournament after appearing in four World Cups and five European Championships since 2004.

"We know that if we win, we will go to the World Cup and if we lose we are out," he said. "We have the responsibility to be positive and win the match. I see everyone well prepared and wanting to be at their best tomorrow."

Ronaldo is the only player to have scored at least once in the finals of nine top tournaments in a row.

The highest scorer in men's international soccer, Ronaldo would be 41 by the time of the next World Cup if Portugal doesn't qualify to play this year in Qatar.

The Manchester United forward didn't want to talk about the possibility of a World Cup without him.

"There is no World Cup without Portugal," Ronaldo said. "There are no individualities here."

Fresh off win over Turkey

Ronaldo said he is starting to hear repeated questions about his future and made it clear he is the only one who can decide on that.

"If I feel like playing, I will keep playing," he said. "If I don't, I won't."

WATCH | Canada books ticket to World Cup with blowout win over Jamaica:

Canadian men's soccer team qualifies for 1st World Cup since 1986

5 months ago
Duration 2:01
Canada's men's national soccer team defeated Jamaica 4-0, qualifying for their first FIFA World Cup since 1986. t

Portugal advanced to the game against North Macedonia by beating Turkey 3-1 in Porto on Thursday, when the visitors squandered an 85th-minute penalty kick that could have erased a two-goal lead from the first half. The Portuguese added their third goal in injury time.

Portugal had been forced into the playoffs after conceding late and relinquishing a lead last year in the final group game against Serbia.

North Macedonia, which gained independence from the former Yugoslavia in 1991, is trying to make it to the World Cup final for the first time. It made its first appearance in the European Championship last year.

"We are halfway to the World Cup, but we still have another 90 minutes to play and secure qualification," North Macedonia midfielder Tihomir Kostadinov said. "We are ready to do our best and repeat our performance [against Italy] in Palermo."

Aleksandar Trajkovski's surprising winner against Italy on Thursday came in the second minute of stoppage time in Palermo. North Macedonia had also won at Germany a year ago in its European qualifying group, in which it finished second to the Germans and ahead of Romania.

"We can't go into the game thinking North Macedonia is the weaker team," Portugal coach Fernando Santos said. "We have to prepare to face North Macedonia the same way we would prepare if we had to face Italy"

Santos will have a more complete squad for the match at the Estadio do Dragao in Porto as defenders Pepe and Joao Cancelo are back after missing the game against Turkey. Pepe had tested positive for COVID-19, while Cancelo was suspended.

Add some “good” to your morning and evening.

A variety of newsletters you'll love, delivered straight to you.

Sign up now

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now