Whitecaps escape Kansas City with draw after last-minute goal

Derek Cornelius scored in the fourth minute of second-half stoppage time to help the Vancouver Whitecaps pull level for a 1-1 draw against 10-man Sporting Kansas City on Saturday night.

Derek Cornelius scores equalizer in stoppage time

Sporting Kansas City defender Botond Barath, left, heads the ball over Vancouver Whitecaps forward Fredy Montero, right, during the first half of an MLS soccer match in Kansas City, Mo., on Saturday. (Orlin Wagner/Associated Press)

Derek Cornelius scored the equalizer on a volley four minutes into stoppage time to earn the visiting Vancouver Whitecaps a 1-1 draw with Sporting Kansas City on Saturday night.

Sporting (2-4-5, 11 points) appeared to put an end to a six-match winless streak, dating back to a 7-1 win over the Montreal Impact on March 30. But Cornelius, unmarked just outside the 6-yard box, hammered a left-footed volley of Ali Adnan's cross past a diving Tim Melia for the tying goal for Vancouver (3-6-4, 13 points).

Krisztian Nemeth was instrumental in two of the biggest plays of the match, first when he scored the goal for Sporting KC in the 37th minute.

Benny Feilhaber, in his home return to Sporting KC's roster after being acquired in a trade with Colorado, swiped possession off a tackle at midfield and fed a long through ball to Johnny Russell on the right side. Whitecaps keeper Maxime Crepeau got a piece of Russell's shot, but the rebound fell to Nemeth, who easily right-footed the ball between two lunging defenders.

WATCH | Cornelius delivers late equalizer for Whitecaps: 

Ajax, Ont., native Derek Cornelius scored in the 4th minute of second-half stoppage time as the Vancouver Whitecaps played Sporting KC to a 1-1 draw. 1:11

But the game changed drastically in the 51st minute, when Nemeth was given a straight red card for a hard foul on Felipe. Nemeth's spikes landed squarely on Felipe's right ankle, forcing him to leave the match.

A few seconds after Vancouver manager Marc Dos Santos used his third substitution, defender Doneil Henry pulled up with a sore hamstring in the 73rd minute. That meant the two sides played the final 17 minutes at 10-on-10.

Just one of Vancouver's 13 games has been decided by more than one goal.

Before conceding late, the defence was solid for Sporting KC, which had allowed 11 goals since Matt Besler went down with a hamstring injury early in the match against San Jose four games ago. SKC outshot the Whitecaps 15-11, including 7-3 in on-target attempts.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.