Timbers hand Impact 1st tie in 22 games

Portland's Diego Valeri scored the lone second-half goal and the Timbers tied the Montreal Impact 2-2 on Saturday night to increase their MLS unbeaten streak to 13 games.

Saphir Taider, Matteo Mancosu score for Montreal

Samuel Armenteros of the Timbers attempts a shot during Portland's 2-2 tie with the Montreal Impact on Saturday. (Twitter/@TimbersFC )

Portland's Diego Valeri scored the lone second-half goal and the Timbers tied the Montreal Impact 2-2 on Saturday night to increase their MLS unbeaten streak to 13 games.

Saphir Taider and Matteo Mancosu scored for Montreal in the first half. Portland's Samuel Armenteros had his seventh goal in nine games.

It was Impact's first tie in 22 games this season. Coming into the match, Montreal (9-12-1) was the only MLS team without a tie in 2018.

The Montreal Impact have to settle for a 2-2 draw against the Portland Timbers after blowing two different leads. 1:13

Trailing 2-1 at halftime, Portland (8-3-7) turned up the pressure, outshooting the Impact 12-3 during the second half. Valeri broke through during the 64th minute, scoring on a short header off a rebounded shot.

The play was set up when Portland's Sebastian Blanco's shot from the left side was tipped away by Montreal goalie Evan Bush. Valeri was well positioned for the rebound, beating Bush to the ball.

"Usually we're the team that scores first. Today was a good response. The mentality is good and they keep on showing that," Portland coach Giovanni Savarese said. "Montreal played a good game. They made things difficult. It was a tough opposition."

Pivotal non-call

Montreal protested Valeri's goal for several minutes, claiming the Timbers midfielder made contact with Bush.

"It was a foul. Without a doubt. I was surprised that the ref didn't whistle," Montreal coach Remi Garde said.

Montreal led 2-1 at halftime following a wild finish to the first half.

The Impact grabbed a 1-0 lead in the 23rd minute on Taider's goal. Alejandro Silva started the scoring play with a long dribble to just outside the box, where he fed Taider about 10 yards from the goal. Taider drilled a shot just inside the left post to give Montreal the lead.

The lead stood until the final six minutes of the first half, when both teams scored a goal.

Portland got the equalizer during the 39th minute when a defensive mistake led to a goal. Bush mishandled a shot near the goal line, and the ball fell to the left foot of Armenteros, who finished the close-range shot to tie the game.

The Impact countered two minutes later. Ignacio Piatti booted a long ball down the middle of the field to a streaking Mancosu, who easily beat Portland goalie Jeff Attinella with a 15-yard shot to the left corner.

Montreal had several chances to widen the lead during the first half, which Garde thought came back hurt the Impact.

"We created many chances and when you don't score on so many chances, it can be trouble," Garde said.

Both teams return to action July 28 with home games. Montreal faces East-leading Atlanta, and Portland hosts Houston.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.