Soccer

Hope Solo's assault charges dismissed

A judge near Seattle on Tuesday dismissed domestic violence assault charges against soccer superstar Hope Solo, a week before the case was set for trial.

U.S. goalie did not attend hearing

U.S. soccer star goalie Hope Solo had domestic assault charges dropped against her by a judge in Seattle Tuesday. (John Bazemore/The Associated Press)

A judge near Seattle on Tuesday dismissed domestic violence assault charges against soccer superstar Hope Solo, a week before the case was set for trial.

Solo, a goalie for the U.S. women's national soccer team and the Seattle Reign professional club, had been charged with two misdemeanor counts of fourth-degree assault stemming from an altercation with her half-sister and 17-year-old nephew at a party in June.

Kirkland Municipal Court Judge Michael Lambo dismissed the charges on Tuesday, KING-TV reported. Solo did not appear at Tuesday's hearing. The judge had agreed to let her attend a training camp.

"Today's decision brings closure to what has been one of the most difficult and emotionally draining times of my life," Solo said in a statement, which she posted on Facebook and received 275 primarily supportive comments in the first 55 minutes.

"I always had faith that once the facts of the case were presented, I would be cleared of all charges and I am so happy and relieved to finally have it all behind me."

Charges should not have been filed: Maybrown

Solo's lawyer, Todd Maybrown, sought to have the charges dismissed on the grounds that the alleged victims refused to answer questions about the case.

Maybrown said after the court hearing that the charges never should have been filed in the first place, the Seattle Times reported.

"We are gratified that, after considering all of the facts and circumstances of this case, the judge has dismissed all charges against Hope Stevens (Solo)," Maybrown said in a statement. "From the beginning, I've stated that Hope was the victim of an assault in this case. With a careful review of the facts surrounding these matters, it is clear that Hope never should have faced charges in the first place."

"Hope is very happy and relieved that she can now put this matter behind her. She looks forward to focusing her energies on the game she loves."

At a hearing last week, the judge renewed an order for a deposition after Solo's nephew and half-sister failed to appear for interviews.

Prosecutors had said the pair didn't appear because they weren't served with subpoenas and there wasn't adequate time to notify them, given the New Year's Day holiday.

In court documents, Solo said she was defending herself against her nephew, who is 6-foot-9 and weighs 280 pounds. She claims she was hit over the head with a broom handle. Solo's relatives have claimed she attacked first.

The 33-year-old has won two Olympic gold medals with the U.S. women's national team.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now