Soccer

FIFA bans Haitian soccer president for life for sexual abuse

The FIFA ethics committee found Yves Jean-Bart guilty of "having abused his position and sexually harassed and abused various female players, including minors" from 2014 until this year. He was also fined $1.1 million US

Yves Jean-Bart also fined $1.1 million US

Haitian soccer federation president Yves Jean-Bart, seen above in 2014, was found guilty by the FIFA ethics committee of 'having abused his position and sexually harassed and abused various female players, including minors' from 2014 until this year. (Alexandre Schneider/Getty Images)

Haitian soccer federation president Yves Jean-Bart was banned from the sport for life on Friday following accusations of systematic sexual abuse of female players.

The FIFA ethics committee found Jean-Bart guilty of "having abused his position and sexually harassed and abused various female players, including minors" from 2014 until this year.

He was also fined $1.1 million US.

Jean-Bart has denied the allegations, which involve national team players. The accusations were first revealed by British newspaper The Guardian in April.

An appeal will be filed at the Court of Arbitration for Sport, a spokesman for Jean-Bart said in a statement.

"FIFA's decision is a travesty of justice and purely political move to avoid further controversy and bad press following a series of high-profile scandals," spokesman Evan Nierman said.

Incidents allegedly took place at 'The Ranch'

The abuse is said to have happened at the country's national training centre at Croix-des-Bouquets, which FIFA helped fund. It was known as "The Ranch."

As the head of Haitian soccer since 2000, Jean-Bart "wielded huge power and has high-level connections into the government, political, and legal systems," Human Rights Watch said.

Haitian state authorities have been urged by the advocacy group to investigate the allegations and protect the players, who also said they were intimidated and threatened.

"This is not a case of one bad apple," Human Rights Watch global initiatives director Minky Worden said ahead of the FIFA verdict. "Athletes have testified that many other officials in the Haitian Football Federation — officials responsible for their safety — either participated in sexual abuse or knew and turned a blind eye."

3 others suspended 

Three more Haitian federation officials have been suspended from work while FIFA investigators gather evidence, technical director Wilner Etienne, national centre girls' supervisor Nela Joseph, and assistant coach Yvette Felix.

Federation officials are accused of being "principals, accomplices or instigators" in the systematic abuse, FIFA said Friday.

Jean-Bart had been "actually investigated and cleared" by the judicial system in Haiti, his spokesman said.

"FIFA failed to review actual evidence which is why Dr. Jean-Bart expects to be fully exonerated and reinstated after appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport," Nierman said.

Since the allegations were revealed, FIFA has pledged to work on safeguarding players in an agreement with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

Add some “good” to your morning and evening.

A variety of newsletters you'll love, delivered straight to you.

Sign up now

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

now