Soccer

Authorities review sex assault allegation against Sounders star Montero

Prosecutors are reviewing a woman's allegation that Seattle Sounders star striker Fredy Montero sexually assaulted her last month.

Prosecutors are reviewing a woman's allegation that Seattle Sounders star striker Fredy Montero sexually assaulted her last month.

Dan Donohoe, a spokesman for the King County Prosecutor's Office in Seattle, confirmed Friday that an issue involving Montero was under review and no decision on charges had been made.

He declined to provide further details, but an incident report from the King County Sheriff's Office makes clear that a 23-year-old woman told Bellevue police on March 22 that Montero had sexually assaulted her early that morning.

The 21-year-old from Colombia did not join the team in travelling to play Toronto FC on Saturday (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 3:30 p.m. ET). The Sounders said he was recovering from the flu.

"We are aware of the situation and continue to gather information," the MLS team said in a statement. "We fully support Fredy and expect him to play next week. We will have no further comment at this time."

Montero has scored three times in the Sounders' two games, both wins for the expansion franchise. He was named Major League Soccer player of the month.

The sheriff's office report details a second complaint the woman made, when she called on Tuesday to say she had seen Montero in a car at an intersection near her home. She told a detective she feared for her safety and believed Montero may have been looking for her house.

Detectives determined, however, that Montero was in the neighbourhood with his host family because the family's son was playing in a football game at nearby Skyline High School.