Canada's volleyball teams bring experience to Pan Am Games
Men's team lead World League pool ahead of competition
Canada nominated 24 of the country's most skilled and experienced volleyball players to compete at the Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games in July.
The men's team, based in Gatineau, Que., currently sits atop its World League pool and recently qualified for the FIVB World Cup after winning gold at the Champions Cup in Detroit, beating the U.S in the process.
September's World Cup will serve as a qualifier for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Meanwhile, the women's team has been busy with Pan Am Cup competition in Peru. The team, which trains in Winnipeg, Manitoba, will participate in the FIVB World Grand Prix tournament this year before the Pan Am Games.
"This is a great opportunity to showcase our sport at home, and we have a group of experienced players who are going to take advantage of the Games atmosphere to make their country proud," women's coach Arnd "Lupo" Ludwig said.
"We are looking forward to the challenge."
The volleyball competition will take place at Exhibition Centre Hall A, with the women competing July 16 – 25 and the men competing July 17 – 26.
Canadian men's volleyball team for Pan Am Games:
- Nicholas Hoag, Sherbrooke, Que.
- Dan Lewis, Oakville, Ont.
- Steve Marshall, Abbotsford, B.C.
- Gord Perrin, Creston, B.C.
- TJ Sanders, London, Ont.
- Gavin Schmitt, Saskatoon, Sask.
- Dustin Schneider, Brandon, Mtba.
- Adam Simac, Ottawa, Ont.
- Toontje Van Lankvelt, Rivers, Mtba.
- Rudy Verhoeff, Calgary, Alta.
- Graham Vigrass, Calgary
- Frederic Winters, Victoria, B.C.
Canadian women's volleyball team for Pan Am Games:
- Tesca Andrew-Wasylik, Unionville, Ont.
- Lisa Barclay, Brandon, Mtba.
- Lucy Charuk, Tsawwassen, B.C.
- Dana Cranston, Fort St. John, B.C.
- Marisa Field, Kelowna, B.C.
- Tabitha Love, Dauphin, Mtba.
- Jennifer Lundqvist, Surrey, B.C.
- Shanice Marcelle, Victoria, B.C.
- Brittney Page, Vernon, B.C.
- Kyla Richey, Roberts Creek, B.C.
- Danielle Smith, Beaverlodge, Alta.
- Jaimie Thibeault, Sylvan Lake, Alta.