Synchro Canada names 9 athletes, 1 alternate to Pan Am team
Jacqueline Simoneau, Karine Thomas lead team into Toronto
Synchronized swimmers Jacqueline Simoneau and Karine Thomas will lead nine athletes and one alternate into the 2015 Pan Am Games in Toronto, the Canadian Olympic Committee and Synchro Canada announced Thursday.
A victory in the duet event by Simoneau, of Saint-Laurent, Que., and Karine Thomas, of Gatineau, Que., would secure the Canadian pair a berth for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Canada is the reigning Pan Am Games champion in both the duet and team events, having captured gold at Guadalajara 2011.
"Canada's synchronized swimmers have a well-earned reputation for their drive, athleticism and innovation. Congratulations to the athletes named today to represent Canada in synchronized swimming at the Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games," said Thomas. All Canadians look forward to seeing you compete this summer during the Year of Sport in Canada."
The full team includes:
- Gabriella Brisson, Calgary, Team Event
- Annabelle Frappier, Saint-Hyacinthe, Que., Team Event
- Claudia Holzner, Calgary, Team Event
- Lisa Mikelberg, Montreal, Team Event
- Marie-Lou Morin, Westmount, Que, Team Event
- Samantha Nealon Morriston, Ont., Team Event
- Lisa Sanders, Gormley, Ont., Team Event
- Jacqueline Simoneau, Saint-Laurent, Que., Team Event, Duet
- Karine Thomas, Gatineua, Que., Team Event, Duet
- Rebecca Maule, Guelph, Ont., Alternate