Pan Am softball schedule features Canada, U.S. rivalry
Men's softball returns for first time since 2003
The Canada-U.S. matchup will be key parts of both the men's and women's softball schedule at the 2015 Pan Am Games in Toronto.
The schedule was released on Friday.
Men's softball returns to the Pan Am Games for the first time since 2003. "Softball will be a hot ticket at the Toronto 2015 Games," said Saäd Rafi, TO2015's chief executive officer.
"Our Canadian men's softball team is thrilled about the return of men's softball," said John Stuart, head coach of the Canadian men's team. "These Games mean everything to our athletes, and we look forward to competing for gold on home soil. There are many top teams emerging from the Americas, and we are very confident with the group of players we have."
Softball was removed from the Olympics following the 2008 Beijing Games, but is seeking a re-instatement that could see it back in for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Canada's men's softball schedule (all games at President's Choice Ajax Pan Am Ballpark):
- Sunday, July 12 vs. Mexico at 7 p.m.
- Monday, July 13 vs. USA at 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 14 vs. Argentina at 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 15 vs. Dominican Republic at 7 p.m.
- Thursday, July 16 vs. Venezuela at 4:30 p.m.
Canadian women seek gold
Women's softball has remained in the Pan Am Games (even when the men's game was absent in 2007 and 2011), but the players also look forward to its inclusion back in the Olympics.
A successful Pan Am showing is on the minds of Team Canada, which has lost the last four Pan Am gold medal matches to the U.S.
Canada's women's softball schedule (all games at President's Choice Ajax Pan Am Ballpark):
- Sunday, July 19 vs. Brazil at 4:30 p.m.
- Monday, July 20 vs. Cuba at 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 21 vs. USA at 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 22 vs. Dominican Republic at 7 p.m.
- Thursday, July 23 vs. Puerto Rico at 7 p.m.