Canada's Pan Am soccer teams hope for continued success
3 members of Canada's Women's World Cup team make Pan Am appearance
Canada's Pan Am soccer team will feature some familiar faces, with three women currently competing in the Women's World Cup continuing on to the games starting July 11.
Kadeisha Buchanan, Ashley Lawrence, and Jessie Fleming headline a team of young hopefuls looking to extend Canada's impressive run since soccer was introduced to Pan Am at Winnipeg in 1999.
Since then, this year's host nation has racked up a silver, bronze, and enter Toronto's games as the defending gold medallists. That win in 2011 sent them on to their bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics.
"We are approaching this event with an Olympic depth focus and with 'the future' in mind of increasing the current and future positional threshold of Canada's Women's National Team," coach Daniel Worthington said.
"It is a great opportunity for these girls to gain tournament expertise against five international teams that will pose different challenges."
With Pan Am serving as an Olympic U-22 event, the men's team also offers an invaluable chance to prepare Canada to move closer to their goal of 2016 Rio Olympic qualification.
The majority of the 18 player men's roster includes professional players, with many coming from Canada's clubs.
Dwayne De Rosario, who holds the scoring record for Canada's Men's National Team, got his start in this tournament in the team's only other appearance in 1999 where they finished fourth.
"I'm happy with our squad because I know the majority of the players. We know how they can work with us and develop," coach Antonio Floro said.
"I hope that we can reach the semifinals and we are really excited for that first game against Brazil [July 12] because it's a really important game for us."
Canadian women's soccer team for Pan Am Games:
- Janine Beckie, Forward, Denver, Col.
- Kadeisha Buchanan, Defender, Brampton, Ont.
- Gabrielle Carle, Forward, St-Romuald, Que.
- Nkem Ezurike, Forward, Bedford, N.S.
- Jessie Fleming, Midfielder, London, Ont.
- Emma Fletcher, Midfielder, Victoria, B.C.
- Sarah Kinzner, Midfielder, Calgary, Alta.
- Stephanie Labbé, Goalkeeper, Stony Plain, Alta.
- Ashley Lawrence, Midfielder, Caledon, Ont.
- Marie Levasseur, Forward, Quebec, Que.
- Kinley McNicoll, Defender, Oakville, Ont.
- Victoria Pickett, Defender, Barrie, Ont.
- Nichelle Prince, Forward, Ajax, Ont.
- Rebecca Quinn, Defender, Toronto, Ont.
- Kailen Sheridan, Goalkeeper, Whitby, Ont.
- Chelsea Stewart, Defender, The Pas, Mtba.
- Danica Wu, Midfielder, Edmonton, Alta.
- Shelina Zadorsky, Defender, London, Ont.
Canadian men's soccer for Pan Am Games:
- Kevan Aleman, Midfielder, Toronto, Ont.
- Manuel Aparicio, Midfielder, Toronto, Ont.
- Molham Babouli, Forward, Mississauga, Ont.
- Louis Béland-Goyette, Midfielder, Montréal, Que.
- Kevon Black, Defender, Brampton, Ont.
- Hanson Boakai, Forward, Edmonton, Alta.
- Adam Bouchard, Defender, Oakville, Ont.
- Caleb Clarke, Forward, Richmond, B.C.
- Alex Comsia, Defender, Vancouver, B.C.
- Maxime Crépeau, Goalkeeper, Candiac, Que.
- Raheem Edwards, Forward, Mississauga, Ont.
- Jackson Farmer, Defender, Edmonton, Alta.
- Ben Fisk, Forward, Vancouver, B.C.
- Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé, Midfielder, Sherbrooke, Que.
- Ricky Gomes, Goalkeeper, Kitchener, Ont.
- Jonathan Grant, Defender, Scarborough, Ont.
- Manjrekar James, Defender, Toronto, Ont.
- Chris Manella, Midfielder, Toronto, Ont.