Eric Lamaze, Ian Millar to lead Canada's equestrian team
Pan Am Games selections announced for dressage, eventing, jumping
Olympic gold medalist Eric Lamaze and 9-time Pan Am Games medalist Ian Millar will lead Canada's equestrian team at the 2015 Pan Am Games, July 10-26. 15 riders, including reserves, were named to compete in dressage, eventing and jumping.
The competition will begin with dressage, July 11, 12 and 15. Eventing follows July 17-19, with jumping closing out the equestrian portion of the Games on July 21, 23, and 25.
Dressage and jumping will be held exclusively at the OLG Caledon Pan Am Equestrian Park, a publicly-owned, world-class facility in Caledon, On. The dressage and jumping phases of eventing will also take place in Caledon, while the highly-anticipated cross-country phase will be hosted by one of Canada's premier eventing facilities, Will O'Wind Farm in Mono, ON - which will be named the Pan Am Cross-Country Centre during the Games.
"We are really looking forward to having the Pan Am Games at the Caledon Equestrian Park, a venue that we've spent so much time competing at over the years," said Lamaze, the 2008 Olympic individual jumping goal medalist. "With so many friends in the area supporting us, it should be a great ambiance for Canada. These Games are especially important for Canada, as Olympic qualification is on the line."
Ten-time Olympian, including 2008 Olympic team silver in jumping, and nine-time Pan Am Games medalist Ian Millar, joins Lamaze in the powerful jumping line-up. ""I am incredibly excited to be representing Canada at the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games!! Thank you to our owners, sponsors, supporters and our entire staff for their help in pursuing these games."
Jessica Phoenix of Cannington, Ont. a 2012 Olympian and the defending Pan Am Games individual eventing champion from Guadalajara in 2011, heads the eventing team which won team silver four years ago, one of three equestrian medals Canada brought back from Guadalajara. The dressage team also won a silver medal.
The 2015 Pan Am Games will prove especially meaningful for the dressage and jumping teams providing the opportunity to qualify for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil. The Canadian eventing team has already secured Olympic qualification through their sixth place finish at the 2014 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games in Normandy, France.
The team members. with hometown and horse
- Brittany Fraser, New Glasgow, N.S., All In
- Megan Lane, Collingwood, Ont., Caravella
- Belinda Trussel, Stouffville, Ont. , Anton
- Chris von Marels, Ridgetown, Ont., Zilverstar
- (Reserve) Diane Creech, Caistor centre, Ont., Robbie W
- (Reserve) Karen Pavicic, Surrey, B.C., Don Daiquiri
- Colleen Loach, Dunham, Que., Qorry Blue d'Argouges
- Jessica Phoenix, Cannington, Ont., Pavarotti
- Waylon Roberts, Port Perry, Ont., Bill Owen
- Kathryn Robinson, Kettering, United Kingdom, Let It Bee
- Yann Candele, Caledon, Ont., Show Girl, First Choice 15
- Tiffany Foster, North Vancouver, B.C., Tripple X III
- Eric Lamaze, Schomberg, Ont., Fine Lady 5,Coco Bongo, Rosana du Park
- Ian Millar, Perth, Ont., Dixson,
- (Reserve) Eliza beth Gingras, Edmonton, Alta., Zilversprings