Andrew Wiggins not part of Canada's Pan Am basketball team
16-player tryout will be held from July 12-17
The Canadian men's basketball team will battle at the Pan Am Games without NBA rookie of the year Andrew Wiggins or defensive star Tristan Thompson.
Canada Basketball announced Friday that the team will be selected after a six-day tryout from July 12-17.
The 16 invitees include Anthony Bennett from the Minnesota Timberwolves, Sim Bhullar of the Sacramento Kings and the Orlando Magic's Andrew Nicholson. The team will be whittled down to a 12-man roster, which will be announced before July 18.
There are four glaring omissions to the Pan Am team: Wiggins (Timberwolves), Thompson (Cleveland Cavaliers), Kelly Olynyk (Boston Celtics) and Cory Joseph (San Antonio Spurs).
Joseph, a versatile point guard and Thompson, a rebounding machine, are both restricted free agents so playing without a contract is not an option.
Wiggins and Olynyk, an emerging centre, will represent Canada but it will be at the all-important men's Olympic qualifying tournament in Mexico City from Aug. 31-Sept. 12.
"We have NBA players like Cory Joseph and Tristan Thompson that are still working out contracts," explained Canada's national team head coach Jay Triano.
"[As for] Andrew Wiggins and Kelly Olynyk, teams have asked that we take care of them this summer so participating in both events was not going to be something that we thought would be a good idea on both ends. Those players will be available later on in the summer [for the Olympic qualifying tournament]."
Training camp will continue at Toronto's Air Canada Centre until the competition begins on July 21.
"We're excited to begin our 2015 season," said Triano. "This will be a quick and competitive tryout, as we have a good mix of team Canada veterans and up-and-coming talent vying for a place on the team."
Canada will play in Group A of the preliminary round. The Canadians will square off against the Dominican Republic on July 21, Argentina on July 22 and Mexico on July 23.
All games will be played at the Ryerson Athletic Centre.
Canadian men's basketball team tryout for Pan Am Games:
- Jermaine Anderson, PG, Scarborough, Ont.
- Olu Ashaolu, PF, Brampton, Ont.
- Anthony Bennett, PF, Toronto.
- Sim Bhullar, C, Etobicoke, Ont.
- Dillon Brooks, SF, Mississauga, Ont.
- Junior Cadougan, PG, Toronto.
- Aaron Doornekamp, SF, Odessa, Ont.
- Melvin Ejim, SF, Toronto.
- Carl English, SG, Paradise, Nfld.
- Devoe Joseph, SG, Pickering, Ont.
- Daniel Mullings, SG, Scarborough.
- Jamal Murray, PG, Kitchener, Ont.
- Andrew Nicholson, PF, Etobicoke, Ont.
- Dyshawn Pierre, PF, Whitby, Ont.
- Thomas Scrubb, PF, Richmond, B.C.
- Kyle Wiltjer, SF, Portland, Ore.