Canadian women's 8 rowing team clinches spot at Paris Olympics
Defending champs from Tokyo 2020 finish 5th at world championships in Serbia
The Canadian women's eight rowing team booked its place at next summer's Paris Olympic Games with a fifth-place result at the World Rowing Championships on Sunday in Belgrade, Serbia.
Canada finished the race in six minutes 7.15 seconds, taking the last Olympic qualification spot ahead of the Italian crew, the only team to miss qualifying for Paris.
Romania won gold in 6:01.28, followed by the silver medallists from the U.S. (6:03.73), while early race leader Australia (6:04.17) held on for bronze.
Canada won gold at the Tokyo Games in 2021.
WATCH | Canada's women's 8 to defend Olympic title in Paris next summer:
Canada's team at worlds
- Sydney Payne, Toronto
- Avalon Wasteneys, Campbell River, B.C.
- Kasia Gruchalla-Wesierski, Calgary
- Morgan Rosts, Jordan, Ont.
- Cassidy Deane, Whistler, B.C.
- Kirsten Edwards, Port Moody, B.C.
- Alexis Cronk, London, Ont.
- Jessica Sevick, Strathmore, Alta.
- Coxswain Kristen Kit, St. Catharines, Ont.
WATCH | All the action from the 'A' finals on Sunday: