Canadian women in favourable group for Olympic soccer qualifying
Canada, U.S., on likely collision course for final
Canada has been drawn in a pool with Guatemala, Guyana, and Trinidad & Tobago at the CONCACAF Olympic women's soccer qualifying tournament.
The eight-country event runs Feb. 10-21 in Houston and Frisco, Tex. The two finalists will represent North and Central America and the Caribbean at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Monday's draw likely sets up a final between Canada, ranked 11th in the world, and the top-ranked Americans. The Canadians will probably have to get past Mexico in the semifinal.
The Canadian women, who won bronze at the 2012 Games in London, will play their Group B matches in Houston.
Canada will be favoured over No. 48 Trinidad & Tobago, No. 84 Guatemala and No. 92 Guyana.
The United States, as host country, was placed in Group A with No. 26 Mexico, No. 34 Costa Rica and No. 115 Puerto Rico and will play its group matches in Frisco.
Schedule (All times in ET)
Wednesday, Feb. 10 At Frisco, Texas
- Puerto Rico vs. Mexico, 6 p.m.
- United States vs. Costa Rica, 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 13 At Frisco, Texas
- Costa Rica vs. Puerto Rico, 1:30 p.m.
- Mexico vs. United States, 4 p.m.
Monday, Feb. 15 At Frisco, Texas
- Mexico vs. Costa Rica, 6 p.m.
- United States vs. Puerto Rico, 8:30 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 11 At Houston
- Guatemala vs. Trinidad and Tobago, 6 p.m.
- Canada vs. Guyana, 8:30 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 14 At Houston
- Guyana vs. Guatemala, 1:30 p.m.
- Trinidad and Tobago vs. Canada, 4 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 16 At Houston
- Trinidad and Tobago vs. Guyana, 6 p.m.
- Canada vs. Guatemala, 8:30 p.m.
Winners qualify Friday, Feb. 19 At Houston
- Group B winner vs. Group A second place, 5:30 p.m.
- Group A winner vs. Group B second place, 8:30 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 21 At Houston
Semifinal winners, 5 p.m.