Canadian Paralympic wheelchair basketball teams announced
Men's and women's teams each return 6 players from 2012 Games
Wheelchair Basketball Canada announced rosters Monday for the teams which will compete in this summer's Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, which begin in 100 days.
Both the men's and women's team have been among the strongest in the world in recent years. The women's team are reigning world champions and the men won gold at the last Paralympic Games in London.
Both teams will have plenty of veteran experience. The women return 10 from the 2014 world championships roster and the men's team contains six from the 2012 Paralympic squad.
"We have an excellent group of athletes, coaches and support staff who have all worked very hard to get to this point and that momentum will carry us through the last 100 days until the Games," said women's head coach Bill Johnson. "As a top- ranked team we are confident in our ability to go head-to-head with the very best in the world as we strive for a return to the Paralympic podium in Rio."
Returning for the women from the 2012 Games are Tracey Ferguson, Katie Harnock, Jamey Jewells, Janet McLachlan, Cindy Ouellet and Tamara Steeves.
"We have assembled a great team with a balanced mix of veteran leadership and emerging talent," said Steve Bialowas, head coach of the men's team. "Our team is training tirelessly to reach its full potential on the court and we are excited to get underway in what is sure to be an exhilarating competition in Rio."
The men's team returns Abdi Dini, David Eng, Bo Hedges, Chad Jassman, Adam Lancia and Tyler Miller from the 2012 gold medal-winning team.
Full team rosters are below.
- Abdi Dini (Scarborough, Ont.)
- David Eng (Montreal)
- Nik Goncin (Regina)
- Deion Green (Victoria, B.C.)
- Bo Hedges (Wonowon, B.C.)
- Liam Hickey (St. John's)
- Chad Jassman (Calgary)
- Adam Lancia (Scarborough, Ont.)
- Tyler Miller (Kitchener, Ont.)
- Jonathan Vermette (Sherbrooke, Que.)
- Peter Won (Blackfalds, Alta.)
- Ben Moronchuk (Edmonton) (pending classification)
- Tracey Ferguson (Richmond Hill, Ont.)
- Erica Gavel (Prince Albert, Sask.)
- Katie Harnock (Elmira, Ont.)
- Melanie Hawtin (Oakville, Ont.)
- Jamey Jewells (Donkin, N.S.)
- Rosalie Lalonde (St-Clet, Que.)
- Janet McLachlan (Vancouver)
- Cindy Ouellet (Quebec City)
- Darda Sales (London, Ont.)
- Tamara Steeves (Mississauga, Ont.)
- Amanda Yan (Burnaby, B.C.)
- Arinn Young (Legal, Alta.)