Road To The Olympic Games

Olympics Summer

Runner Gary Reed falls in London

Canadian 800-metre champion Gary Reed fell during his race at London's Crystal Palace Saturday and failed to finish.

Canadian 800-metre champion Gary Reed fell during his race at London's Crystal Palace Saturday and failed to finish.

The 26-year-old Victoria athlete was about 200 metres into the race at the London Grand Prix, running along the inside of a tight pack, when he tripped after a collision.

A year ago, Reed won the 800-metre silver medal at the IAAF World Championships in Osaka, Japan.

Last week, he won his specialty at a meet in Heusden, Belgium, recording his fastest time of the season, one minute, 44.46 seconds.

On Saturday, he was pitted against South Africa's Mulaudzi Mbulaeni, the 2004 Olympic silver medallist.

The South African, who was involved in the collision that caused Reed's fall, stepped off the track just before the halfway mark and also failed to finish.

Kenya's Sammy Tangui led the field through 400 metres in a quick 50.69.

In the absence of the two favourites, Abraham Chepkirwok of Uganda —- fourth at the 2007 world championships — won in a time of 1:45.64. Britain's Michael Rimmer ran a season-best time of 1:45.76 for second place. Chepkirwok has a best time of 1:43.72 this year.

Nicole Forrester of Aurora, Ont., was second in the women's high jump with a jump of 1.92 metres. Anna Chicherova of Russia won the event at a height of 2.01m.

Three athletes finished at 1.92m — Amy Acuff of the U.S. and Belgium's Tia Hellebaut were the others — but the Canadian champion had first-time clearances at all heights including 1.92 metres. Hellebaut needed three attempts while Acuff had two misses at lower heights.

Canadian 400-metre medal hopeful Tyler Christopher, the 2008 IAAF World Indoor champion, was second in the men's 400 in a time of 45.29 seconds. The winner, Briton Martyn Rooney, ran a personal best of 44.83.

Christopher holds the Canadian record of 44.44 seconds set at the 2005 World Championships where he finished third.