NHL's Knights will choose expansion team in front of Vegas fans
Draft to be held in conjunction with awards on June 21
The Vegas Golden Knights will fill its team roster in front of their home fans, as the expansion draft will be held in conjunction with the NHL awards in the desert city on June 21.
Both events will take place on June 21 from T-Mobile Arena, the new home of the league's 31st franchise, which will begin play next season.
It will be the first look at the Golden Knight's initial roster, when they pick from a pool of players made available by the league's other 30 teams.
"June 21 will be an incredible day for the city of Las Vegas and our fans," said Golden Knights chairman and CEO Bill Foley. "The anticipation around the expansion draft has been building for months and that excitement will continue to grow as we get closer to Draft Day."
Dates were also released as to when the NHL will announce the nominees for the league's awards.
- Wednesday, April 19 – Selke Trophy (forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game)
- Thursday, April 20 – Calder Trophy (top rookie)
- Friday, April 21 – Norris Trophy (top defenceman)
- Saturday, April 22 – Vezina Trophy (top goaltender)
- Sunday, April 23 – Lady Byng Trophy (player best combining sportsmanship and ability)
- Monday, April 24 – Masterton Trophy (perseverance and dedication to hockey)
- Tuesday, April 25 – NHL Foundational Player Award (community service)
- Wednesday, April 26 – Jack Adams Award (top head coach)
- Thursday, April 27 – Mark Messier Leadership Award
- Monday, May 1 – Hart Trophy (most valuable player to his team)
- Tuesday, May 2 – Ted Lindsay Award (most outstanding player as voted by the players)