Don Cherry has highest praise for the late Jean Béliveau
Two thumbs up for Le Gros Bill
Don Cherry took to Twitter to share his memories of the late Jean Béliveau. In his first public comments about No. 4's recent passing, the iconic sports broadcaster recalled Béliveau's class.
According to Cherry, Béliveau's class extended far beyond the ice. Who would Don send to represent Canada at the United Nations? None other than Mr. Béliveau.
1) What can you say that hasn’t been said about Jean Beliveau. I keep hearing the word class all day when people are describing him and they—@CoachsCornerCBC
2) are so right. It’s the old story, in the dictionary, beside the word class you would find Jean Beliveau’s picture. I remember when I was—@CoachsCornerCBC
3) at the Montreal training camp, hearing a story, one of the rookies after the game had thrown the Canadiens sweater on the floor and the—@CoachsCornerCBC
4) the room went silent. Jean Beliveau picked up the sweater, got a hanger, hung it up and turned to the rookie and said “never let this—@CoachsCornerCBC
5) this sweater hit the floor again”. Another story told to me in recent years, is about signing autographs. Have you seen Jean Beliveau’s—@CoachsCornerCBC
6) or Bobby Orr’s, Wayne Gretzky’s, Bobby Hull’s, Guy Lafleur’s? You can read it. One day while signing autographs, Jean looked over at—@CoachsCornerCBC
7) another guy scribbling his name and asked “do you have no pride in your name?” He was a class guy. . I’ll use the word class too.—@CoachsCornerCBC
8) If someone like UN asked me to send one person to represent Canada it would be Jean Beliveau.—@CoachsCornerCBC