St. FX, UNB to meet in men's CIS hockey final

St. Francis Xavier X-Men a dramatic 2-1 semifinal win over the Saskatchewan Huskies

UBC to face Montreal in women's

University of Saskatchewan Huskies goaltender Jordon Cooke and teammate Connor Cox watch as St. Francis Xavier X-Men Michael Clarke scores in the third overtime in Halifax on Saturday. The X-Men won 2-1. (Andrew Vaughan/The Canadian Press)

Michael Clarke's power-play goal in the third overtime period earned the St. Francis Xavier X-Men a dramatic 2-1 semifinal win over the Saskatchewan Huskies at the CIS men's hockey championship Saturday.

Clarke scored his fourth goal of the tournament at 17:35 of the third overtime to earn the X-Men their first national championship appearance since 2004.

"We needed to come through on the power play," Clarke said. "I wanted to put the puck on net, and I was able to get a good shot away."

St. FX will face New Brunswick in Sunday's final after the Varsity Reds blanked the Saint Mary's Huskies 4-0 in the other semifinal.

Christopher Clapperton opened the scoring for UNB 3:37 into the first period and Philippe Halley added a hat trick, scoring once in the second and twice in the third.

"He (Halley) gets better every game and he is a key difference maker for us," Varsity Reds head coach Gardiner MacDougall said.

Varsity Reds goaltender Etienne Marcoux made 13 saves for the win. Cole Cheveldave stopped 28 of 32 shots for the Huskies.

Saint Mary's takes on Saskatchewan in the bronze medal game.

Thunderbirds will face Carabins for women's title

Haneet Parhar scored the winner in the eighth round of the shootout as the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds edged the Guelph Gryphons 2-1 in the semifinals of the CIS women's hockey championship on Saturday.

The Thunderbirds will get a chance at their first national title on Sunday when they face the Montreal Carabins in the championship game. Montreal edged the Saint Mary's Huskies 3-2 in the other semi.

"I didn't even have my stick on the bench. My coach leaned over and said we had worked on this in practice. You're shooting. You know what to do," Parhar said. "We don't stop. No matter what happens to us, we're still going and we don't lose faith in each other. We all believed we could do this and win."

Kelly Murray tied the game at 1-1 with a power-play goal in the third for UBC. The Thunderbirds appeared to win the game with just under two minutes remaining in overtime, only to have the goal called off for goalie interference.

Kaitlin Lowy scored a power-play goal in the first period for the Gryphons.

Danielle Dube made 36 saves through regulation and overtime for the win in net. Valerie Lamenta kicked out 31-of-32 shots for Guelph.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?