Alex Ovechkin marries Russian model Nastya Shubskaya
Capitals' star forward coming off 50-goal season, disappointing playoffs
Alex Ovechkin will enter his 12th NHL season like no other — as a married man.
The 30-year-old Russian superstar recently tied the knot with Russian model Nastya Shubskaya in small, private wedding, informing his 2.26 million Twitter followers and others on Sunday.
Это счастье❤️ <a href="https://t.co/SNu4aXnRnJ">pic.twitter.com/SNu4aXnRnJ</a>—@ovi8
In October, Ovechkin will begin his quest for another ring as a Stanley Cup champion with Washington.
The Capitals are coming off a 2015-16 campaign in which they won the Presidents' Trophy with 120 points — Dallas was second with 109 — but were eliminated in Game 6 of their second-round playoff series against eventual Cup champions Pittsburgh.
Ovechkin, who has never appeared in a game beyond Round 2, has spent part of his summer preparing for another NHL season but will first report to Team Russia's camp ahead of the World Cup of Hockey, which begins Sept. 17 in Toronto.
work hard 🇷🇺 💪👊! <a href="https://t.co/lTHDcNk4I0">pic.twitter.com/lTHDcNk4I0</a>—@ovi8
Ovechkin scored 50 goals last season, leading the league in that category for a fourth straight season, but his 71 points were the lowest total in an 82-game season since 2012 (65).
Still, Ovie achieved many feats along the way, including:
- Moving to 33rd on the NHL's all-time goals list with 525, eight behind Frank Mahovlich and 13 in arrears of Keith Tkachuk.
- Scoring his 484th NHL goal to break a tie with Sergei Fedorov for most goals by a Russian-born player.
- Becoming the fifth fastest player in league history to reach 500 goals.
- Scoring against Philadelphia goalie Steve Mason to become the third player in NHL history to reach 30 goals in each of his first 11 seasons.
- A plus-21 rating, his best since the 2010-11 season (plus-24).