Moulson scores twice as Isles beat Bruins

The Bruins fell to the New York Islanders 4-1 on Monday in Boston.

Matt Moulson scored two goals and Dwayne Roloson stopped 28 shots to lead the New York Islanders to a 4-1 victory over the Bruins on Monday night in Boston.

John Tavares also scored to make it 3-1 — a goal that was originally credited as Moulson's third of the game before being corrected on review — and Trent Hunter added an empty-netter with 49 seconds left.

"I'm not going to take that one," said Moulson,  "He got a good bounce there. I was trying for it but I just couldn't reach it."

Tuukka Rask made 17 saves and Daniel Paille scored for Boston, which killed off all five penalties and has not allowed a goal in 22 consecutive power plays.

The Islanders took a 3-1 lead on Tavares's goal with 18:10 left in the game, then held on. In the only other meeting between the teams this season, New York led 3-0 with just over eight minutes left before the Bruins came back to force overtime and then win 4-3 in a shootout.

This one finished in regulation, a rarity for these teams of late. The Bruins had played two straight overtime games and the Islanders needed OT in the previous three.

New York took the lead six minutes into the game when Jack Hillen brought it around the boards to the back of the net and backhanded it into the slot for Moulson.

Boston had a 5-on-3 advantage late in the first, but Dennis Wideman hit the post on Roloson's glove side on Boston's best chance.

The Bruins finally tied it with 5:04 left in the second period when David Krejci brought the puck into the zone and swept it across the crease to Paille, who shot once off Roloson's pad and a second time between the goalie's skate and the post.

"Those little details that meant so much to us being successful aren't consistent right now," Bruins coach Claude Julien said. "There's not that confidence or determination we need to be successful. Right now we have to have our best players playing their best if we're going to turn it around."

The net, which had been knocked off the moorings by an Islanders skater, went into the air and the puck slid in and came to rest under the bottom of the goal when it came back to the ice.

Moulson made it 2-1 after Rask played the puck behind the net and sent it along the right boards. It was picked off by Richard Park near the circle and quickly centred to Moulson, who redirected it past Rask as he tried to get back in position.