Canucks' power play sinks Oilers

The Vancouver Canucks benefited from four power-play goals to dispose of the Edmonton Oilers 6-3 Saturday night at General Motors Place.

The Vancouver Canucks benefited from four power-play goals to dispose of the Edmonton Oilers 6-3 Saturday night at General Motors Place.

Centre Kyle Wellwood scored the winning goal early in the third period and winger Jannik Hansen notched a pair for Vancouver.

Forward Mason Raymond also scored two goals for the Canucks, while goaltender Roberto Luongo made 25 saves.

"We were moving the puck extremely well and getting the shots on net," said Hansen. "That way, they were backing up on the [penalty killing] a little bit."

After ending a six-game road trip losing three in a row, the Canucks (4-4-0) rebounded with a solid effort against the Oilers.

The Oilers (4-3-0) have dropped their last three contests after starting the season winning four straight.

Centre Robert Nilsson led Edmonton with a goal and assist.

Wellwood snapped a 3-3 tie just 2:32 into the third period with Vancouver on the power play, raising a shot over the blocker of Edmonton goaltender Mathieu Garon, who finished the game with 24 stops.

Wellwood is making the most of his second chance with the Canucks. The former Toronto Maple Leafs forward entered training camp in poor shape and was sent to the minors after only one game with Vancouver.

Wellwood was recalled when Pavol Demitra was sidelined with a rib injury and now has posted three points in as many games.

"He was one of our better players on the whole rink, not just on the power play," said Canucks coach Alain Vigneault. "He's obviously grabbed his opportunities since we recalled him …He's rising to the occasion."

Hansen and Jason Krog then added insurance goals.

But the key moment of the game occurred late in the second period with the teams tied 3-3.

Edmonton's Sam Gagner was awarded a penalty shot after he was pulled down on a breakaway by Vancouver defenceman Alexander Edler.

Luongo was up to the task, however, sticking out his glove to stop a high drive by Gagner to keep the game even.

"It was a big moment in the game there," said Luongo. "If he scores it's 4-3 going into the locker room.

"I know he likes to make a lot of moves on his breakaway and I said to myself I was going to be as patient as possible and he ended up shooting right away. That's why I didn't move much, I was kind of surprised, but at end I as able to react."

Vancouver got on the board on the power play 3:25 into the first period. Raymond raced into Edmonton's zone and wired a shot to the short side of Mathieu Garon.

The Oilers tied the game just 53 seconds into the second after completing a pretty three-way passing play. Nilson spotted Denis Grebeshkov, who beat Luongo for this first goal of the season.

Vancouver regained the lead with its second power-play goal of the game at 7:39 when Raymond's drive sailed through traffic and behind Garon.

The Canucks took a 3-1 lead 55 seconds later after Hansen blasted a one-timer by Garon.

Edmonton responded with goals by Nilsson and Steve Staios to square the contest heading into the final period.

Vancouver will now play the seven of their next nine games at home.

The Oilers host Boston on Monday night before embarking on a seven-game road trip.

With files from the Canadian Press