Vick released from federal custody

An attorney on Monday said former NFL quarterback Michael Vick has been released from federal custody after spending 20 months in federal custody for financing a dog fighting operation.

Expected to meet with NFL commissioner about resuming playing career

It appears Michael Vick can start thinking seriously about resuming his career as a quarterback in the National Football League.

Vick's lawyer Lawrence Woodward on Monday said the 29-year-old has been released from federal custody at his home in after spending 20 months in federal custody for financing a dog-fighting operation.

Vick spent the past two months under home confinement wearing an electronic monitor and working a $10 US-an-hour job as labourer for a construction company.

It is expected he will soon meet face-to-face with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who has said he would review the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback's status after he completed his sentence.

"The review of his status is ongoing," league spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday. "There are no further details and no timetable."

If Vick is able to return to the NFL, it won't be with Atlanta. The Falcons released Vick in June.

Chief among Vick's challenges is rehabilitating his image and convincing the public and Goodell that he is truly sorry for his crime, and that he is prepared to live a different life — goals that will depend more on deeds than words.

"Michael did an egregious thing," Goodell told The Associated Press in April. "He has paid a very significant price for that."

He said people are forgiving when someone who has done wrong shows remorse and is prepared to live a different life.

"That's something he has to prove to myself and the general public," Goodell said.

Vick apologized in court in 2007 for his actions, but U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson denied him an "acceptance of responsibility" credit that could have reduced his sentence.

He sentenced Vick to 23 months in prison, more than any of Vick's three co-defendants.

Under the federal truth-in-sentencing law, Vick had to serve at least 85 per cent of his sentence. He served the first 18 months in the federal penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kan., before being transferred to home confinement in May.

Vick, who is under a three-year suspended sentence for a state dog fighting conviction, will remain on supervised probation for three years.

with files from The Associated Press