CFL

CFL makes 'final' amended contract proposal while players return to training camp

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie says the Canadian Football League has tabled a final amended proposal to the CFL Players' Association, noting the new agreement addresses the CFLPA's biggest concerns: a ratification bonus and the Canadian ratio.

League sets midnight ET Thursday deadline for the players to accept offer

Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea, pictured at training camp last week, was expecting to be on the field Tuesday as CFL players continued practising after turning down the latest contract offer from the league. (John Woods/Canadian Press)

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie and the CFL have put the CFL Players' Association back on the clock.

Ambrosie said Tuesday the league tabled a final amended bargaining agreement to the players Monday night, a deal that will remain on the table until midnight ET on Thursday. He added the new contract addressed the biggest concerns the CFLPA membership had with the previous proposal: the implementation of a ratification bonus and changing the Canadian ratio.

Ambrosie said the amended offer contains a $1-million ratification bonus pool for players. It also reduces the proposed number of nationalized Canadians — Americans who've spent either five years in the CFL or at least three with the same team — from four to one while also cutting back on the number of Canadian starters from seven to six.

And that's not expected to sit well with CFL players. On Monday, they rejected a tentative seven-year agreement between the league and their union that called for Canadian starters to increase to eight, including one nationalized Canadian. In addition, three other nationalized Canadians could play up to 49 per cent of all snaps on either side of the ball.

"We know our roster challenges don't surface when all of your players are healthy," Ambrosie said. "But ours is a collision sport where players get hurt and once you get deeper into your roster, often those players aren't quite ready.

"That's why we protected all of the roster spots to make sure Canadians have the chance to be on rosters and train and develop themselves. This protects Canadian jobs, which all of our teams felt strongly about. It rewards American athletes for a contribution they make to our teams and communities."

The CFLPA issued the following statement to CBC News earlier on Tuesday:

"Late [Monday] night, the CFL presented a revised offer to the CFLPA bargaining committee. We have reviewed closely with our board of player reps, who then took to their respective locker rooms in detail. There remain critical outstanding items that must still be resolved to get to a fair deal.

CFLPA executive director Brian Ramsay said the league's offer was more like an ultimatum and not a partnership which the league has often maintained has been its goal in contract talks.

"Yes this is an ultimatum with a deadline," Ramsay said. "It feels very much like the way the old CFL does business.

"I think a partnership creates solutions. Right now, our members are still on the field as we try to create solutions while the CFL issues ultimatums. Coming out publicly like this isn't the right approach. They did try this May 14 and it didn't work then and we're confident through our player reps that our membership will see that now."

'Best offer league is going to have'

This marks the second time Ambrosie has gone public with a final contract offer to the CFLPA. On May 14, he posted a letter to fans on the league's website detailing the league's proposal to players hours before the former CBA was set to expire.

The league and union reached a tentative agreement Wednesday, four days after players with seven of the league's nine teams went on strike. It marked just the second work stoppage in league history and first since 1974.

But Ambrosie said the league has no more room to negotiate.

"I think this is the best offer the league is going to have and we're going to stand on it," he said. "But not with obstinance or negativity, we're going to stand by it because we truly believe this is a transformational deal.

"The deal that went for ratification was one supported by the players' executive and player reps that we felt was a win-win and a great opportunity to build a new future. We just made two adjustments that we think make it even better and we just feel it's time now to stand by this deal and get back to playing football."

Pre-season games slated to begin Friday

The CFL's exhibition schedule is slated to open Friday night with the Toronto Argonauts visiting the Ottawa Redblacks and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers entertaining the Edmonton Elks. On Tuesday, Winnipeg president Wade Miller, expressed hope his team's contest will go ahead.

The Calgary Stampeders were equally as hopeful their exhibition game Saturday night versus the B.C. Lions would be played.

But it's hard to see any games being played if the players turn down the league's latest offer. A longer second work stoppage would also put the June 9 regular-season start in jeopardy.

Ambrosie said if the deal is rejected and players go back on strike, they'll be served notice to vacate their respective training-camp facilities.

"That's not something we want to do," Ambrosie said. "Essentially this would be a second strike ... and by that point we'll be starting to suffer revenue losses and many things change for us.

"That's why I believe this is the best we're going to do. It's a win-won deal but it's more than that, it's a win-win partnership and that's what I and my colleagues want to focus on."

The past two seasons have been difficult for both the league and players. After no games were played in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic — reportedly costing the league between $60 and $80 million — teams participated in an abbreviated 14-game campaign last year.

"We've got two preseason games Friday and two more Saturday," Ambrosie said. "Look, at this stage we know there will be consequences and effects to the league if, heaven forbid, we start missing games."

In Ambrosie's mind, this offer is a big win for the league and players.

"I believe in my head and in my heart this arrangement that's on the table today is the dawning of a new era, of prosperity for this league," he said. "I'm hoping and praying the players will choose to vote and ratify this arrangement because I believe this sets us all up for the kind of future we've all wanted going back generations.

"None of the struggles or tribulations that go with bargaining should get into the way of what you want. You want to ultimately build a long-term, mutually beneficial partnership with our players. Our respect for our players hasn't waned or diminished one bit. We just want to get this done and fulfil the promise we've made to our fans and stakeholders in having a 2022 season and one that's a cause for great celebration."

With files from CBC Sports

Add some “good” to your morning and evening.

A variety of newsletters you'll love, delivered straight to you.

Sign up now

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now