CFL

Potential suitor for Alouettes says he's no longer interested in buying team

Montreal businessman Clifford Starke said Tuesday he has withdrawn his offer to purchase the Montreal Alouettes.

Montreal businessman Clifford Starke says CFL failed to act by his Tuesday deadline

The Canadian Football League took over ownership of the Montreal Alouettes on May 31. (Graham Hughes/Canadian Press)

Clifford Starke has withdrawn his offer to purchase the Montreal Alouettes.

The Montreal businessman made the announcement Tuesday. Last month, Starke sent commissioner Randy Ambrosie an amended proposal to buy the franchise.

Then Starke further bolstered his bid by adding former Alouettes running back Eric Lapointe to his group as a strategic adviser with an expanding role. But Starke also stated his offer would only stand until Tuesday.

"My partners and I firmly still believe that we have created the ideal ownership structure, offer, executive team and strategy that would have ensured the best possible outcome for the Alouettes," Starke said in a statement. "Currently there isn't a competitive offer that would combine both a solid business understanding and a Canadian football related acumen, as my proposed offer.

"Our deadline for action from the CFL has expired, as has the lifespan of our intent to purchase."

Starke first announced his intention to buy the franchise in April. The 35-year-old is the chair of Hampstead Private Capital and has acted as a consultant, adviser and/or director to more than 15 publicly listed companies.

Ambrosie has said the CFL is negotiating exclusively with one potential ownership group. A league source has indicated that's a partnership headed up by Montreal natives Peter and Jeffrey Lenkov, who were in Edmonton for the Alouettes' season-opening 32-25 road loss to the Eskimos on June 14.

Peter Lenkov is a Hollywood producer/writer while Jeff Lenkov is a lawyer and NHL player agent. The Alouettes are now being run by the CFL, which took over ownership May 31 from American businessman Bob Wetenhall and his son, Andrew.

The Alouettes had reportedly lost $50 million since 1997 when Wetenhall purchased the franchise. That included $25 million the past three seasons and a whopping $12.5 million last year alone.

Lapointe led one of three groups that went public with their interest in purchasing the Alouettes from the CFL. Starke and Vincenzo Guzzo, the president and CEO of Cinemas Guzzo, were the others before Guzzo dropped out of the bidding.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.