Coronavirus: Here's what happened in the sports world on Sunday
Tokyo Olympic organizers leaning away spring, eyeing summer dates
The latest on how the coronavirus outbreak is affecting sports around the globe:
- Olympic organizers leaning away from starting games in spring of 2021
- Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport temporarily halts doping testing program
- 2 Cubs employees test positive for COVID-19
- Ex-MLB All-Star Jim Edmonds tests positive for pneumonia
- Italy's sports minister to extend ban on events
Spring Olympics appearing less likely
Tokyo Olympic organizers seem to be leaning away from starting the rescheduled games in the spring of 2021. More and more the signs point toward the summer of 2021.
Organizing committee President Yoshiro Mori suggested there would be no major change from 2020.
International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach had left open the possibility of spring dates after announcing Tuesday that the Tokyo Games would be postponed.
The postponed games were to have opened on July 24 and closed on Aug. 9. Mori suggested some decisions could be made as early as this week when the organizing committee's executive board meets.
Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport temporarily halts doping testing program
The Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) has placed its doping control testing program on hold until further notice.
The CCES announced its decision Friday in a statement posted to its website.
The organization said putting its program on hold is "in response to updated government directives intended to minimize the risk of exposure and spread of COVID-19 and the postponement of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games."
"Athletes should know that most other countries around the world are also adjusting their anti-doping programs in accordance with their national responses to deal with COVID-19," the statement said. "The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) is actively monitoring these adjustments. The CCES will continue to update WADA on the adjustments we are taking in Canada."
The CCES said athletes will continue to be subject to the Canadian Anti-Doping Program (CADP).
2 Cubs emplyees test positive for COVID-19
Two Chicago Cubs employees who attended an annual training session at Wrigley Field on March 8 have tested positive for the COVID-19 virus.
One was hospitalized and the other was recovering at home, spokesman Julian Green said Sunday.
Ex-MLB All-Star Jim Edmonds tests positive for pneumonia
Former All-Star outfielder Jim Edmonds announced on his Instagram page that he went to the hospital to be tested for the coronavirus after displaying some symptoms. The 49-year-old Edmonds sent a video update Saturday night on his Instagram Story saying he was back home after testing positive for pneumonia for the first time in his life, but was awaiting results of tests for the coronavirus.
Italy's sports minister to extend ban on events
Italy's sports minister is planning to extend the ban on games and competitions in the country through all of April.
The current nationwide lockdown is due to expire on Friday but Italian health experts have said the need to try to contain COVID-19 will likely last weeks beyond that.
Minister Vincenzo Spadafora tells Italian daily La Repubblica that talks about restarting the Serie A soccer league on May 3 are "unrealistic."
He adds: "[On Monday] I will propose extending the ban on sports competitions at every level for all of April. And I'll extend the measure to training — an area where we hadn't intervened because there was still a possibility of holding the Olympics."
Some clubs like Lazio and Napoli had been pushing to restart training as soon as this week.
At least 15 Serie A players have tested positive for COVID-19.
Overall, Italy has nearly 100,000 positive cases and days ago surpassed the total in China, where the outbreak began in late 2019.
Former NFL Pro Bowler Tony Boselli test positive for COVID-19
Former NFL offensive tackle Tony Boselli was placed in an intensive care unit of a Jacksonville-area hospital hospital as a result of the coronavirus, according to a report from Mike Freeman of the Bleacher Report.
Per Freeman, the 47-year-old Boselli is doing better but still receiving treatment.
2020 Boxing Hall of Fame cancelled
The International Boxing Hall of Fame has cancelled its Hall of Fame weekend in June because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Executive director Ed Brophy said Sunday that this year's class will be honoured at the induction ceremony in June 2021.
The Class of 2020 includes the first female honorees in Barbara Buttrick, Christy Martin, and Lucia Rijker, along with Bernard Hopkins, Juan Manuel Marquez, "Sugar" Shane Mosley, Frank Erne, and Paddy Ryan.
Also selected were promoters Lou DiBella, Kathy Duva and Dan Goossen, and journalists Bernard Fernandez and Thomas Hauser.
La Liga raises $740,000 US for virus relief
The Spanish league says more than $740,000 US has been raised for the fight against the coronavirus outbreak with the help of athletes and musicians in Spain.
The final tally was announced a day after the athletes and musicians took part in a four-hour online global music festival organized by the league to help purchase medical supplies and support fans confined to their homes.
Barcelona's Gerard Pique, Real Madrid's Sergio Ramos and tennis star Rafael Nadal were among those who participated in the charity event. Celebrities included singers Aitana, Alejandro Sanz, Beret and Luis Fonsi, actress Danna Paola, music bands Morat and Taburete, and Chinese pianist Lang Lang.
They all participated from their homes.
with files from Field Level Media