Coronavirus: Here's what happened in the sports world on Sunday
Serbian soccer player sentenced to 3 months at home for flouting curfew
The latest on how the coronavirus outbreak is affecting sports around the globe:
Player sentenced to 3 months at home for flouting curfew
Serbian soccer player Aleksandar Prijovic has been sentenced to three months of home detention for flouting a curfew imposed to curb the spread of coronavirus.
The 29-year-old striker who plays for Saudi Arabian club Al-Ittihad pleaded guilty at a video link trial in Belgrade on Saturday.
Police had arrested Prijovic and 19 others for gathering at a hotel lobby bar in Belgrade on Friday and violating the country's 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. lockdown orders.
He is the second Serbian soccer player to be caught violating the stay-at-home orders after Real Madrid striker Luka Jovic flouted the state of emergency decree when he attended his girlfriend's birthday party at a Belgrade cafe last month.
Those who violate the restrictive measures could face up to three years in jail.
August PGA Championship among rescheduled dates: report
The PGA Championship will be rescheduled for Aug. 6-9 at TPC Harding Park, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Sunday.
The newspaper said the PGA Tour is expected to announce a revised tour schedule Monday. All PGA events have been cancelled or postponed since March 12 because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The $11 million US PGA Championship was scheduled to be held May 14-17 at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco but was postponed by the PGA of America on March 17.
It is unknown if fans will be in the gallery or if California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed off on the plan. On Saturday, after President Donald Trump said he believed the NFL season could be played on schedule, with fans in the crowd, in September, Newsom seemingly was a non-believer.
"I'm not anticipating that happening in this state," Newsom said, citing concerns about a "boomerang" effect if things return to normal too quickly.
Saints legend Tom Dempsey dies from virus, family says
Former NFL kicker Tom Dempsey, who played in the NFL despite being born without toes on his kicking foot and made a record 63-yard field goal, died late Saturday while struggling with complications from the new coronavirus, his daughter said. He was 73.
The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate first reported Dempsey's death. Ashley Dempsey said Sunday that her father, who has resided in an assisted living home for several years after being diagnosed with dementia, tested positive for the coronavirus a little more than a week ago.
The Orleans Parish coroner has yet to release an official cause of death.
Dempsey's game-winning field goal against Detroit on Nov. 8, 1970, stood as an NFL record for 43 years until the Broncos' Matt Prater broke it with a 64-yarder in Denver in 2013.
Dempsey spent 11 seasons in the NFL: His first two seasons were with New Orleans (1969-70), the next four with Philadelphia, then two with the Los Angeles Rams, one with the Houston Oilers and the final two with Buffalo. He retired after the 1979 season.
England soccer star Walker sorry after 'lockdown party'
England defender Kyle Walker is facing disciplinary action from English Premier League team Manchester City after appearing to break lockdown conditions during the coronavirus pandemic.
The 29-year-old Walker apologized on Sunday after it was widely reported he held a party involving two sex workers at his home last week, breaking the government's rules on social distancing. The country is in the middle of a three-week lockdown.
"I understand that my position as a professional footballer brings the responsibility of being a role model," he said in a statement. "As such, I want to apologize to my family, friends, football club, supporters and the public for letting them down."
A club statement read: "Manchester City FC are aware of a story in a tabloid newspaper regarding the private life of Kyle Walker in relation to a breach of the UK lockdown and social distancing rules."
Walker, who has made 48 appearances for England, is the second high-profile EPL player to have been caught flouting the government's guidelines after Aston Villa's Jack Grealish.
25th anniversary of MLS remains quiet milestone
MLS was supposed to be celebrating its 25th year, but for now it remains a quiet milestone amid the coronavirus pandemic. Monday marks the anniversary of the league's first game, when the San Jose Clash hosted D.C. United at Spartan Stadium before 31,000 fans.
The league has overcome crisis before, like in 2002 when the MLS contracted by two teams and its future was in doubt. But nothing quite like this.
Teams were just two games into the season when play was suspended because of the new coronavirus. The shutdown came at what otherwise would have been a high point.
Nashville and Miami joined the league this season, bringing the number of clubs to 26, with four more on the way in coming years. Inter Miami, David Beckham's team, was preparing for its home opener when the delay took effect.
Multiple league sources told The Associated Press last week that the preference is to still play a 34-game season.
Soccer in Burundi marches on
Burundi is to continue playing league soccer despite the threat of the coronavirus pandemic, its federation decided on Sunday after a meeting of its clubs.
The east African country is one of only four where formal league soccer continues after a worldwide shutdown of sport in the face of the health crisis.
"After consultation with Public Health Minister Thaddeus Ndikumana, the general assembly decided that the first and second division championships should continue to be played while observing the appropriate hygiene measures," the federation said in a statement after a meeting to discuss whether to proceed with the season.
There have been three confirmed cases of COVID-19 infections in Burundi, which along with Belarus, Nicaragua and Tadjikistan continues to sanction league football.
The season in Burundi, whose national team last year competed at the Africa Cup of Nations finals for the first time, has only three rounds left to play.
Pulled plug shows hazards of virtual competition
Australia's triathlon world champion Mirinda Carfrae has found virtual reality competitions created to sustain sport amid the novel coronavirus outbreak have unexpected hazards.
The three-time world ironman champion was competing against Jocelyn McCauley of the United States, Canada's Angela Naeth and Jeanni Seymour of South Africa in the inaugural Ironman VR Pro Challenge women's race when disaster struck.
Carfrae was doing well on the 90 kilometre bike stage when she suffered a virtual mechanical failure. Husband Tim O'Donnell tripped over the cord of her smart trainer, disconnecting it and putting her out of the race.
"He decided to bring my trophies in here as motivation and when he walked around the back he kicked out the plug. What an idiot," Carfrae said.
McCauley won the race, which was shown live on Facebook, with Naeth finishing second and Seymour third.
with files from The Canadian Press, Reuters and Field Level Media