NBA

L.A. county agrees to pay $2.5M US to pair of families affected by Kobe Bryant crash

Los Angeles County agreed Tuesday to pay $2.5 million US to two families who lost relatives in last year's helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant, his daughter and seven other people.

Similar lawsuit by Vanessa Bryant over photos continues in court

A man stands at the site of a helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna, and seven others in February 2020. On Tuesday, L.A. County agreed to pay $1.25 million US settlements to each of two families who lost relatives in the accident. (Marcio Jose Sanchez/The Associated Press)

Los Angeles County agreed Tuesday to pay $2.5 million US to two families who lost relatives in last year's helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant, his daughter and seven other people.

The Board of Supervisors approved a settlement of two federal lawsuits filed by the Altobelli and Mauser families alleging they suffered emotional distress over graphic photographs of the scene that reportedly were taken or shared by Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies and firefighters.

A similar lawsuit by Bryant's widow continues, however.

Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna and the others were flying to a girls basketball tournament on Jan. 26, 2020, when their helicopter crashed in the Calabasas hills west of Los Angeles in foggy weather. Federal safety officials blamed pilot error for the wreck.

The settlement, if approved by a judge, will pay $1.25 million to Matthew Mauser, whose wife was killed. Another $1.25 million will be shared by J.J. Altobelli and Alexis Altobelli, siblings who lost their mother, father and 14-year-old sister.

The county already spent about $1.3 million in legal costs in the two invasion-of-privacy cases, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The settlements are "reasonable and fair to all concerned," said Skip Miller, an attorney representing the county. "We are pleased that the Mauser and Altobelli families, who as private citizens suffered the same grief and loss as others, will be able to move forward after these settlements. We also hope that eventually the other families will be able to do the same."

Vanessa Bryant lawsuit ongoing

Vanessa Bryant continues her own lawsuit over the photos, which weren't taken as part of the investigation into the crash.

A federal judge on Monday ruled that she won't have to undergo an independent psychological examination that the county had argued was necessary to determine whether she had suffered emotional distress.

Attorneys for the county had argued that Bryant had never seen the photographs, which haven't been made public.

According to the lawsuits, they were shared by a deputy trainee with some bar patrons and by a firefighter with a group of off-duty colleagues.

Vanessa Bryant said in a deposition that "for the rest of my life I'm going to have to fear that these photographs of my husband and child will be leaked."

Last week, the judge ordered that the sheriff and fire chief must provide depositions in the case, which is scheduled for trial in February.

Also pending is a lawsuit filed by survivors of crash victims Sarah Chester and her 13-year-old daughter.

Add some “good” to your morning and evening.

A variety of newsletters you'll love, delivered straight to you.

Sign up now

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now