David Ortiz alert, smiling after second surgery in Boston

Former Red Sox designated hitter/first baseman David Ortiz is recovering in Boston from a two-hour exploratory surgery after being shot at a bar in his native Dominican Republic.

Doctors hopeful of full recovery for former Red Sox slugger after he was shot in back

Red Sox fans hold up signs showing support for former player David Ortiz before the start of Monday’s game against Texas. Ortiz is recovering in Boston after being shot in the back while at a club in the Dominican Republic. (Kathryn Riley /Getty Images)

Former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is recovering in Boston from a two-hour exploratory surgery after being shot at a bar in his native Dominican Republic.

Ortiz spokesman Leo Lopez told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Ortiz is expected to stay in intensive care for at least 48 hours.

"David arrived at Massachusetts General Hospital last night and underwent a successful second surgery," Ortiz's wife Tiffany said in a statement provided by the team. "He is stable, awake, and resting comfortably this morning in the ICU where he is expected to remain for the next several days," she said.

"On behalf of me and my family, I want to thank John and Linda Henry, Tom Werner, Sam Kennedy and the Boston Red Sox for all that they are doing for David and our family, as well as Dr. Larry Ronan and the amazing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.

"Lastly, I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of support and love that we have received during this incredibly difficult time. We ask for privacy as David works towards recovery."

Ortiz was alert after the surgery, which lasted until about 1 a.m. ET, and "even flashed that smile" afterward, Lopez told ESPN.

Gallbladder, part of intestine removed

Doctors are hopeful he will make a full recovery.

Authorities said a man got off a motorcycle and shot Ortiz in the back Sunday night at a club in Santo Domingo. Surgeons there operated for six hours to repair damage to his intestines and liver, also removing his gallbladder.

Ortiz was flown to Boston on Monday in an air ambulance provided by the Red Sox after doctors removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine. Lopez said the 43-year-old athlete's liver was also damaged in Sunday night's shooting.

Police have said the driver of the motorcycle carrying the gunman was captured and beaten by a crowd of people at the bar. The gunman has not been arrested, and police say they do not yet have a motive.

According to ESPN Deportes, police have the suspected gunman and the suspected driver of the motorcycle in custody.

Late Tuesday night, a spokeswoman for the national prosecutor's office in the Dominican Republic said a second person had been arrested. There is no public indication the man is the suspected shooter.

Ortiz, known to fans and teammates as "Big Papi," played the last 14 years (2003-16) of his 20-year big league career in Boston. He was named an All-Star 10 times and helped the Red Sox win World Series championships in 2004, 2007 and 2013.

With files from Field Level Media


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.