Don Cherry defends Jonathan Papelbon in fight with Bryce Harper
Says star threw Washington closer 'under the bus'
Don Cherry has never been one to keep his opinions to himself, and he continued his summer of baseball analysis with a take on the Bryce Harper-Jonathan Papelbon dispute.
In a nine-tweet rant, Cherry defended Papelbon against the guy who makes "10 zillion dollars a year" (Harper is actually making $2.5 million US, below league average). He just wishes Papelbon "waited for him in the tunnel and choked him there" instead of the dugout.
1) I suppose everybody has seen Papelbon and Harper and their little dispute in the dugout. Papelbon was suspended for the year actually by—@CoachsCornerCBC
2) the team and the league. How anybody could blame Papelbon for confronting Harper boggles the mind. Alright, Papelbon shouldn’t have done—@CoachsCornerCBC
3) what he did to Harper on the bench. He should have waited for him in the tunnel and choked him there. For Harper criticizing his own—@CoachsCornerCBC
4) teammate publicly, and that’s the word, publicly, for throwing at Machado saying now they will throw at me next game. Can you imagine how—@CoachsCornerCBC
5) Papelbon felt when he heard that? He’s having a tough time this year anyhow, now the so called face of baseball throws him under the bus,—@CoachsCornerCBC
6) his own teammate. People who criticize Papelbon, rightly so for doing it openly, never played the game. Never, never, ever openly—@CoachsCornerCBC
7) criticize your teammate no matter what he does. In the dressing room that’s ok, yes but what is said in the dressing room stays in the—@CoachsCornerCBC
8) dressing room. Some people say they can understand how Harper just jogs down to first on a pop up. They say well, hey they have already—@CoachsCornerCBC
9) played 152 games. The guy is getting 10 zillion dollars a year, at least he can hustle to first base.—@CoachsCornerCBC