Cubs' Soto avoids marijuana suspension
Catcher called it an 'isolated incident'
Chicago Cubs catcher Geovany Soto will not be suspended by Major League Baseball or his team after testing positive for marijuana at this year's World Baseball Classic.
Soto, last season's National League rookie of the year, drew a two-year ban from international competition by the International Baseball Federation.
"I am embarrassed by my lapse in judgment," he said in a statement released during Thursday's 6-5 loss to Detroit. "While I fully acknowledge my inappropriate behaviour, I want to assure my fans and my family that this was an isolated incident.
"I fully understand the ramifications of my actions," Soto said. "I have and will accept any and all consequences."
Soto hit .285 with 23 home runs and 86 runs batted in last year and started the MLB all-star game.
In March, he represented Puerto Rico in the WBC.
Soto, 26, is hitting .227 with six homers and 21 runs batted in this year, and struck out with a runner on second to end Thursday's loss.
Soto's result will be treated by MLB like a first-time positive test.
There is no suspension, but players can be fined and are subject to medical review.
"Geovany assured the organization this was an isolated incident and a misstep in judgment that will not be repeated," the Cubs said in a statement. "Though surprised and disappointed, the club supports Geovany as he takes responsibility for his actions and accepts the consequences."
The team also said the positive test was the first for Soto, who was subject to testing in the minor leagues.