The Rest of the Pig
From bacon to guanciale, North Americans love their pork. But even with today's nose-to-tail approach to eating, there is still plenty left over after the butcher is done. So what happens to the rest of the pig?
In this episode, join host Chris Nuttall-Smith as he uncovers where the rest of the pig goes.
- Butcher Peter Sanagan breaks down a pig into the parts he uses and the parts he doesn't.
- Dutch artist Christien Meindertsma tracks the hundred-plus products made from a single pig, from beer to cream cheese.
- West Coast Reduction's Barry Glotman shows us the rarely seen inner workings of a rendering plant, and the National Renderers Association's Jessica Meisinger shares secrets from the biz. Pork industry analyst
- Steve Meyer tells us exactly how much each inedible pig part is worth.
- Salima Jivraj, also known as the Halal Foodie, discusses the challenges of living in a world where pig by-products are everywhere.
Plus: chef Missy Hui uses pig bung to cook up counterfeit calamari...and tests Chris' palate to see if he can tell the difference.