Just in time for Halloween, hear Canada's creepiest obscure ghost stories
The Secret (Death?) of Canada presents a very scary Halloween special
Forget the former bellhop of the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. Walk away from the woman in blue at Peggy's Cove. Tune out the self playing piano at Craigdarroch Castle — those are all among Canada's most notable hauntings.
What are this country's lesser-known supernatural stories?
In their first ever Halloween episode, The Secret Life of Canada goes ghost hunting off the beaten path.
Co-hosts Falen Johnson and Leah-Simone Bowen travel from a former monastery-turned-asylum to one of Canada's oldest universities to a number of theatres across the country. Be sure to switch on your ghost light ...
What you'll hear this episode:
- Did Leah live in a haunted apartment? And where does Halloween even come from?
- What a former Quebec monastery-turned-asylum did to keep a ghost child from wandering the nearby woods.
- Some history and bizarre legends at the University of Toronto, including duelling stonemasons and something strange that was found in the walls.
- How a free hug coupon went unclaimed for 30 years.
- Which former parliamentarian and member of the Senate claims to have shared a bottle of scotch with a ghost.
- Whether the ghost of John A. MacDonald haunts a Kingston liquor store.
- The purpose of a ghost light and a small sample of the ghosts that haunt theatres from coast to coast. (Also: seriously, are all theatres haunted?)
- A first person account of the ghosts that haunt Buddies in Bad Times Theatre.
- Plus, is "Hauntly" a good name for one's first born?
- Owners of famously haunted Quebec asylum say red tape is forcing them to sell. Article by Rebecca Martel and Verity Stevenson of CBC Montreal.
- Demystifying the legendary ghost story at U of T's University College. Article by Peter Goffin in the Toronto Star.
- Lost and found: University College's revitalization uncovers a 30-year-old mystery. Article by Jenna Charlton for U of T News.
- Spectacular Spectres. Article about the hauntings at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre by Julia Garro for Xtra.
- Haunted Vancouver: The spirits of the Orpheum Theatre. Article by Amy Judd for Global News B.C.
- Spooky stories from behind the scenes at St. John's Arts and Culture Centre. Article for CBC St. John's Morning Show.