Jovanka Vuckovic and other female directors are 'the next great frontier of horror cinema'
The role of women in horror films is often limited, if not by the types of roles they play — terms like "scream queen" may come to mind — but also behind the scenes.
The new horror anthology film XX aims to expand that universe. Director Jovanka Vuckovic is one of four female directors (and one animator) who take on grisly tales written, directed and starring women. Her segment in the film, specifically, is called The Box.
"The horror genre is in need of new perspectives," she says. "And that's why I think women are the next great frontier of horror cinema."
XX will be in theatres across Canada on the following dates:
- Feb. 17 at Carlton Cinemas in Toronto (9 p.m. and 9:20 p.m. screenings are sold out).
- Feb. 24 at Globe Cinema in Calgary.
- Feb. 27 and March 3 at Mayfair Cinema in Ottawa.
- March 10 at Metro Cinema in Edmonton.
- March 24-26 at Regina Public Library in Regina.
XX will be available in Canada on iTunes and Video on Demand on March 3.
— Produced by Cora Nijhawan