q's Oscar Panel gives their verdict on the 88th Academy Awards
Ensemble drama Spotlight, an ode to traditional, dogged investigative journalism, took the top prize at the 88th annual Academy Awards, during a ceremony that addressed Hollywood's lack of inclusion and the #OscarsSoWhite scandal head on.
It was a glitzy evening, with nerd love for Mad Max: Fury Road, a surprise cameo from U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, a powerful performance from Lady Gaga and biting commentary from host Chris Rock.
Back in January, when the nominees were announced, q's Oscar Panel shared their predictions, and put their street cred on the line.
Now, on the morning after, they're back either to gloat or eat crow, and deconstruct the night that was. Our guests this segment:
- Norm Wilner is a film critic for Toronto's NOW magazine.
- Rad Simonpillai is film editor at askmen.com.
- Johanna Schneller is a freelance writer and columnist with The Globe and Mail.
Web Extra: Check out past interviews with several of last night's Oscar winners:
- Sacha Pfeiffer (played by Rachel McAdams in Spotlight) says investigative units are 'endangered species'
- Brie Larson says Room broke her in half
- Mad Max director George Miller on finding hope in a broken world
- Pixar's Pete Docter gets into our heads with Inside Out