6 famous Tragically Hip fans reveal their favourite song
As part of today's Tragically Hip special, six famous fans — Geddy Lee, Clara Hughes, Rick Mercer, Serena Ryder, Joseph Boyden, Atom Egoyan — share their favourite memories of the band and its music.
1) Geddy Lee of Rush: "Gord has a great way of personalizing whatever he's talking about. I look at his lyric writing as short story writing."
His favourite Hip song? 50 Mission Cap
2) Olympian Clara Hughes: "The Tragically Hip seem to have the finger of the pulse of this nation - not just well-known people, but everyday people. They tell the narratives of Canadians."
Her favourite Hip song? Bobcaygeon
3) Comedian Rick Mercer: "I'm not a guy who sings along with music, but I always try and sing along to Fireworks and it's so hard! I'm not that musically literate, I don't know what that's called, I think it's genius."
His favourite Hip song? Fireworks
4) Musician Serena Ryder: "It brings me right back to where I am and makes me imagine what I want my future to be like."
Her favourite Hip song? Fully Completely
5) Author Joseph Boyden: "When I hear one of their songs, it's almost as if it was written for me."
His favourite Hip song? Wheat Kings
6) Filmmaker Atom Egoyan: "They're also physically so embedded in the mythology of this country. They embrace so many different aspirations of what it means to be Canadian."
His favourite Hip song? Courage