These news podcasts will keep you up to date
Lindsay's Pick of the Week
Each morning, The Daily from The New York Times delivers roughly 20 minutes of carefully crafted current affairs. Every episode features a deep dive into one or two big stories. It intertwines a conversation between the host and a journalist with archival sound, music, and interviews with news makers. Michael Barbaro conducts his interviews with a clear but measured empathy that makes the news so much more human.
What is most surprising about The Daily, is how The New York Times manages to divine which story will be top of mind. It gives the context you didn't know you needed and asks the questions you've been wondering about. By telling stories from the beginning, with great detail, confusing news items that seemed distant and irrelevant to you suddenly become tangible events you can understand.
Podcasts featured this week:
- The Daily - The Daily tells the story of Shannon Mulcahy, an Indiana factory worker whose job is moved to Mexico, giving insight into the lives of Trump supporters like her. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Commons - Journalist Evan Balgord traces the development of far-right groups in Canada and how they have grown in the political fringes. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Reveal - An investigation that reveals how pharmaceutical distributors are in some cases knowingly responsible for perpetuating the opioid crisis, and how the U.S. federal government appears unwilling to do anything about it. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Stay Tuned with Preet Bharara - Former U.S. attorney Preet Bharara, who was fired by Donald Trump, interviews former Defence Secretary and CIA director Leon Panetta about the challenges of working in Washington. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Safe Space - A weekly show about news and politics that is making a safe space for your questionable takes. The hosts and guests give their takes on Justin Trudeau's performance after two years as Prime Minister. (They're not impressed). Click here to listen to the full episode.