Podcasts about marijuana
Part two of our two part series about recreational substances. Listen to part one by clicking here.
Watching the markets swing up and down has sparked an interest in economics. But the way these stories play out in the financial section of newspapers is not always accessible. The writing can be unintelligible if you don't work in finance. Which is exactly why The Indicator, a daily podcast from the team at NPR's Planet Money, is so necessary right now. The producers at Planet Money have already proven themselves to be experts at making complicated stories easy to understand since their first project ten years ago. The Indicator is constantly surprising - and this episode on how the legalization of marijuana will have an impact on Canada's GDP totally changed the way I thought about Canada's black market economy. Which, to be honest, is not something I had thought much about. Plus, the podcast gets bonus points for being short and sweet, so it's always worth your time.
- Lindsay Michael, Host and Sr. Producer of Podcast Playlist.
Podcasts featured this week:
- Planet Money: The Indicator - In this episode of Planet Money's daily podcast The Indicator, we learn about the unusual steps that Statistics Canada is taking to try to measure marijuana's impact on the GDP before legalization. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Stoner - A podcast "where creative people talk about their experiences with marijuana." In this episode, Metafilter founder Matt Haughey talks about smoking his first joint at 42 years-old. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Unladylike - Hosts Cristen Conger and Caroline Ervin interview cannabis journalist Mona Zhang about covering the legal weed industry, which is mostly white and male. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Stance - Stance is an award-winning arts and culture podcast that explores global perspectives. In this episode host Heta Fell takes a look at San Francisco's burgeoning legal weed scene to see how things have changed since legalization. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Sickboy - A frank conversation with guest Shaun Simpson about dealing with the painful complications of brain surgery with medical marijuana. Click here to listen to the episode.
- 2 Dope Queens - Comedian Ron Funches tells a story about the time he tried to buy weed in Vancouver and ended up in a fist fight. Click here to listen to the episode.
- Endless Thread - This WBUR podcast "delves into Reddit's boundless communities." In this episode producers Ben Brock Johnson and Amory Silvertson jump into r/trees and trace the surprising story of how the cop and the stoner in this photo became friends. Click here to listen to the episode.