New and notable: dog days of summer edition
When was the last time your cried from laughter? For me, it was last week when I heard Nicole Byer's new-ish podcast Why Won't You Date Me? Byer is a comedian, who you may know as the host of Nailed It on Netflix.
This podcast is ridiculous. I laughed so much while listening to this episode, multiple people interrupted to ask me what it was I had in my headphones.
In each episode, Nicole interviews people that she used to date and asks them why it didn't work out. She is so genuine and disarming, her guests feel comfortable enough to be truly candid. The results are funny, awkward and sometimes poignant. I cannot recommend this show enough. In fact I think it changed my life.
- Kate Evans, Producer, Podcast Playlist.
Podcasts featured this week:
- Uncover: Escaping NXIVM - NXIVM calls itself a humanitarian community. Sarah Edmondson calls it a cult. Uncover is a 6-part investigative podcast series about the group, its leader Keith Raniere and the larger fight to bring it down. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Why Won't You Date Me? - Nicole Byers asks friends and former flames, "Why won't you date me?" Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Endless Thread - King David Kalākaua was the last king of Hawaii and he ruled from 1874 to 1891. But he was much more than that -- he was a traveler, a dreamer and a tech nerd. Or maybe he was fond of drinking, reveling and gambling. It depends on who you ask. But one thing he was not: Boring. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Hot Pod - Podcast critic Nicholas Quah stops by to talk about industry news and existing upcoming releases.
- Medium Playback - At the birthday party of a Hollywood child star, Jonathan hears about a chic evangelical Christian church and decides to try it out for himself. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- The Shadows - Kaitlin is a young artist struggling to make great work and find great love. She believes that the love depicted in Hollywood movies is real, and that she will be one of the lucky ones to find it. When Kaitlin falls for someone who challenges her romantic ideal, she is faced with an impossible choice, and a decision that can't be unmade. Click here to listen to the trailer.