Mystery and crime
A story that could be described as a classic "noir," if it wasn't someone's real life….
That description of "Do You Like My Little Lie?" a recent episode from the podcast Strangers, was enough to get my attention. The line had me intrigued. But, you won't believe how gripping the audio that followed is until you hear it with your own ears. A story of family secrets is expertly produced by Lea Thau and her team. This is the best thing I've heard this year, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I first heard it. That's why Strangers is my pick of the week.
- Kate Evans, Producer, Podcast Playlist
Podcasts featured this week:
- Someone Knows Something - When a package arrived in the mail at Wayne Greavette's home, it seemed like an early gift for the holidays. Inside was a typewritten letter and a flashlight. But when Wayne turned the flashlight on, it exploded, killing him instantly. Over 20 years later, the case remains unsolved, leaving Wayne's widow and children consumed with finding the culprit. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Strangers - One of the most gripping stories we've heard this year. A story that could be described as a classic "noir," if it wasn't someone's real life….. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- StoryCorps - Colleen Collins and Shaun Kaufman were both divorced and having a tough time finding work when they started dating in 2002. Eventually, tired of Shaun's drinking, Colleen came up with the idea that they should start a private investigation agency. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Heaven's Gate - In 1997, thirty-nine people took their own lives in an apparent mass suicide. The events captivated the media and had people across the planet asking the same question...'Why?' 20 years later, those who lost loved ones and those who still believe - tell their story. Click here to listen to the full episode. Also, hear Heaven's Gate host Glynn Washington's interview with Lindsay, where he describes his experience growing up in a cult.
- Criminal - In 1993, a man in Steamboat Springs, Colorado was found dead in his home. He'd been burned with a stun gun, hit with a shovel, and shot several times. The victim's wife was the primary suspect, but she had an alibi for the estimated time of death. Investigators were at a loss, and turned to two very unlikely people for help. Click here to listen to the full episode.