From the Slime economy to learning to love in Guantanamo Bay: Podcasts about family
I'm often drawn to podcasts that showcase entrepreneurial spirit. I find people with a passion for building something from nothing endlessly fascinating. Recently the podcast The Longest Shortest Time introduced me to a new type of business and a new type of subculture. Slime. If you have a kid in your household, you've probably heard of it. Or stepped in it. Or realised it's all over your stuff.
Kids everywhere are getting wrapped up in the slime craze (Oh God, I'm old). The true visionaries among them make and sell their own slime on Instagram. They're called "Slimers." In the same way that the bathtub vodka episode of The Sporkful made me believe I could start my own vodka empire, this episode makes me wish I had the time and glue supplies to take over the Slime game. I think I'm too late to get on the bandwagon. But until this fad goes the way of Gak and Silly Putty, you can find me living vicariously through Instagram.
- Kate Evans, Producer, Podcast Playlist
Podcasts featured this week:
- Love Me - Mansoor Adayfi remembers the romance classes he and fellow prisoners held while at Guantanamo Bay detention camp. How do you imagine falling in love when you know you might never get the chance to? Click here to hear the full episode.
- The Mash-Up Americans - 7 year old Henry tells us what it's like to be a kid in 2018. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- The Science of Happiness - How to forgive your Father in nine, not so easy steps. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- This is Love - "People wanted to put him up for sainthood because he married me, like he'd made the ultimate sacrifice." Click here to listen to the full episode.
- The Leap - Daley Dunham was a junior in college when he decided to donate sperm. He likened it to donating blood -- an opportunity to do something good for a person in need. Except when you donate blood, you don't get a tidal wave of children crashing into your life twenty years later. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- The Longest Shortest Time - Slime is an international craze. Meet a kid who is making money off of the trend. Click here to listen to the full episode.