Best of 2018: Podcasts we loved this year
Regular readers of the New York Times know Rukmini Callimachi as their resident ISIS reporter. Her sources and connections grant extraordinary insight into the way the organization operates, and as a result, she routinely produces incredibly compelling stories. As the host of Caliphate, Callimachi brings us into those stories with her. It's a journey into the world of ISIS, beginning with an interview with a returned Canadian ISIS fighter and taking us to the battlefields of Mosul, with all the suspense and drama that entails.
- Julian Uzielli, producer, Podcast Playlist
Podcasts featured this week:
- Ear Hustle (Matt's pick): This podcast takes you behind the bars at San Quentin State Prison with stories about what life is really like for inmates. During a prison lockdown, how do inmates keep themselves busy? Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Missing & Murdered: Finding Cleo (Lindsay's pick): Where is Cleo? It's a mystery her family has been trying to unravel for decades after the young Cree girl was apprehended by child welfare workers in Saskatchewan in the 1970s. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Articles of Interest (Nick's pick): From 99% Invisible, Articles of Interest is a six-part series about the world of clothing. In this episode, host Avery Trufelman explores the origins of punk style. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Caliphate (Julian's pick): Rukmini Callimachi, who covers ISIS for the New York Times, interviews former fighters and their families, and hunts for information about how they ran their caliphate. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Punch Up the Jam (Kate's pick): Every week, comedians/best friends Miel Bredouw and Demi Adejuyigbe attempt to fix a popular song despite having absolutely no qualifications. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Getting Curious with Jonathan van Ness (TK's pick): Jeff Chen is head of UCLA's new Cannabis Research Initiative who joins Jonathan to break down what exactly makes marijuana tick. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Waking up with Sam Harris (Phil's pick): Sam Harris speaks with Derren Brown about his work as a "psychological illusionist." They discuss the power of hypnosis, the power of expectations, the usefulness of Stoic philosophy, and other topics. Click here to listen to the full episode.